In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is between bone and bone, as between the spinal vertebrae, or above and below a joint.
- A fracture of the transverse process of a lumbar vertebra may damage the ureter.
- The somites give rise to the vertebrae, to the muscles of the trunk and limbs, and to the dermis of the skin.
- Ribs curled free of the chest like those of a skeleton, and the vertebrae protruded in a line of jagged dorsal fins.
- The neural spines in posterior dorsal vertebrae lack distinct lateral projections.
- In Brachycephalus, there is a dermal bony shield that ossifies dorsal to the vertebrae.
- The spine is made up of 24 bones called vertebrae, plus the sacrum and coccyx.
- The ventral keel is partially broken, but is observed to vanish near the middle of the ventral surface of the vertebra.
- Males possess a larger spine on the first vertebra behind the pelvic girdle.
- The dura mater of the spinal cord is separated from the periosteum of the vertebrae by an epidural space.
- The transverse process of the seventh vertebra may be bifid, and occasionally the costal process is replaced by a cervical rib.
- The sternum may incorporate additional vertebrae and is referred to as a synsacrum.
- The entire neural spine and arch of the first two vertebrae of this series are exposed.
- He fell 20 feet off a ladder breaking three vertebrae and exposing his spinal cord.
- Running through a small channel toward the rear of the vertebrae is the spinal cord.
- No ossification centers were evident for either the cervical or the last lumbar vertebrae.
- The other pairs form joints with those of adjoining vertebrae and provide attachment for muscles and ligaments.
- Another of the positions is keeping the back straight and erect, with the vertebrae of the spinal column in a straight line.
- The trapezius attaches to the base of the skull, midback vertebrae and collarbone.
- If the lumbar vertebra is completely anterior to the sacral base, spondylolisthesis has occurred.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.