1(extremely)muyshe's very tall/clever/fat — es muy alta/inteligente/gorda
- was he upset? — very — ¿estaba disgustado? — mucho
- it was very hot/cold — hacía mucho calor/frío
- are you hungry? — no, not very — ¿tienes hambre? — no, no mucha
- it was very wrong of me to interfere — estuve muy mal en entrometerme
- I'm really very, very sorry — de verdad lo siento muchísimo
- you know very well what I'm talking about — sabes muy bien a qué me refiero
- People seem to take the idea of Kevin Bacon, and his Six degrees, very seriously.
- A new form of ultrasound scan can show foetuses at very early degrees of development.
- This is something that you learn quite quickly and is very easy to exploit if you want free technical support.
- She sensed someone moving very quickly after her before she was hit from behind and had her bag snatched.
- However, it is plain that the Statute requires a very high degree of specificity.
- Twelve months is a long time and has seen two very significant developments.
- There has been a very high degree of co-operation between everyone involved in this case.
- It was very tense, especially when we went a goal behind in the first half.
- Attacks on anyone who opposes these organisations quickly become very personal.
- We reorganised and realigned very quickly and eventually there was nowhere for England to go.
- The numbers became very large very quickly but I would keep going quite a while.
- Many seas are tideless, and the waters of some are saline only in a very slight degree.
- The crystalline state is one in which there is a very high degree of internal order.
- Brittany, like other regions of France, has a very rich and distinct history which is all its own.
- It was a bit strange really, and very frustrating especially as we had a chance to get something from the game.
- Lettuce, be it red or green, smooth or crinkly, germinates very quickly and is soon ready to eat.
- Despite a good lap on wet tyres it dried very quickly and he was pushed down to eighth position.
- But my memory of disagreements is balanced by how very quickly they always made it up.
- He did very poorly in his degree and had to settle for only a pass degree.
- The cars come down this road very quickly and we have seen quite a few accidents.
- Life is very busy and extra commotion in the background annoys me more than anything.
2(emphatic)did you do it all on your very own? — ¿lo hiciste tú solito?
- the very next day — precisamente al día siguiente
- the very same day — el mismísimo día
- I did the very same thing myself — yo hice exactamente lo mismo
- it's the very least I can do — es lo mínimo / lo menos que puedo hacer
- at the very most/least — como máximo/mínimo
- nothing but the very best — solo lo mejor de lo mejor
- I've seen a lot of movies, but this is truly one of the very best I could ever hope to see.
1(exact, precise)mismofor that very reason — por esa misma razón
- at that very moment — en ese mismo / preciso momento
- this is the very spot where I found it — fue aquí mismo / en este preciso lugar donde lo encontré
- that's the very one I wanted — ese es exactamente el que yo quería
- ah! the very person I wanted to see! — ¡ah, justo la persona a quien quería ver!
- He was quickly displaying the very mental toughness which has been lacking among his players.
2(absolute, extreme)it's at the very bottom of the pile — está justo en el fondo del montón
- right from the very start — desde el primer momento
- right in the very middle — en el mismísimo centro
- she's at the very peak of her career — está en la cima / cúspide de su carrera
- in the very heart of the jungle — en el corazón mismo de la jungla
- at the very most — como máximo
3(actual)mismoits very existence is threatened — su misma existencia se halla amenazada
- not Joe Altman? — yes, the very man (himself) — ¿no dirás Joe Altman? — sí, el mero
4(mere, sheer)solomerothe very mention of her name — la sola / mera mención de su nombre
- the very thought of it makes me furious — me pongo furioso de solo pensarlo
5literary(utter, veritable)very God — Dios de Dios
- the veriest scoundrel — el sinvergüenza más grande