In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1especie de empanadilla frita que se come con miel o almíbar o rellena de carne
- Eight people are now employed at the facility, which bakes and sells bread, vetkoeks and scones to the community on a daily basis.
- Simmering pots of meat and containers with vetkoeks and bread stands on the floor.
- Small businesses run by students vary: a pool table business on campus, selling vetkoek to students, selling clothing, IT start-ups, offering students cosmetics and beauty products, and finding and renting student accommodation.
- Slit sides of vetkoek and fill with savoury mince.
- Seems you can afford to eat more of those vetkoeks then.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.