In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These viceroys have in fact twice in the last century exercised their vice-regal powers to dismiss elected governments!
- Bosnia Herzegovina, for example, while it has a seat at the United Nations, is also administered by an international viceroy, Lord Paddy Ashdown.
- Having installed various Indian statesmen, religious figures and public benefactors in place of sundry British sovereigns, viceroys and generals, we have cheerfully proceeded to forget them.
- The British named most of them after British kings and queens and viceroys.
- The overriding authority, the viceroy, whatever you wish to call him, actually has a considerable control and power, but they must be clear and honest with the local population.
- The collapse of the Ottoman Empire following World War I and the dissolution of the British Raj three decades later replaced sultans with presidents and viceroys with prime ministers.
- Of course, that's not the same as invading a country, but you get the idea: a viceroy / administrator tries to handle a fiercely resentful community.
- The U.N.-paid and U.N.-sanctioned rulers of both Kosovo and Bosnia-Herzegovina exercise powers akin to erstwhile British viceroys.
- Central government remained under the control of the viceroy's Executive Council, but in the provinces a measure of self-government was conceded through the system known as dyarchy.
- Like the proconsuls of ancient Rome, the viceroy governed, administered, judged, superintended the royal treasury, was commander in chief of the army, and the vice patron of the church.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.