In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1víctima femininecancer victims — víctimas del cáncer
- the flood victims — los damnificados por las inundaciones
- she was the victim of a violent attack — fue víctima de un violento ataque
- Last month funding was secured for another year to run confidential help-lines for victims of hate crimes.
- He also has the experience of saving many a life by rushing the victims of several accidents to hospital.
- Also, victims of violent crime are having to wait far too long to receive their compensation.
- The victim he saw lying dead by a fox's lair would have been either a victim of a road accident or the victim of a youth with an airgun.
- He also helped set up the restorative justice scheme, whereby young offenders meet the victims of their crimes.
- Tragic mums whose children were victims of gun crime were today gathering at a unique event to tackle armed gangs.
- Dr Lewis warned that victims of street crime could also suffer if public phones in the town were taken away.
- I live in fear of being a victim of violent crime every time I step out of the door.
- Here is the man who is first to raise money or organise events to help victims of crime or the needy, a man with human compassion.
- This foundation supports child victims of violent crime and sudden loss of family.
- The first two offences are committed only when a victim has suffered harm as a result of the criminal conduct.
- More than half of all workers in the region's local shops have been the victims of violent crime, a new survey has claimed.
- The victim of deteriorating mental health in his later life, he died in a mental hospital.
- He was all ready to shaft the asbestos victims as he had the workers and other accident victims.
- It estimates that one woman in four now suffers as a victim of domestic violence.
- Some manage to avoid insurance payments to cover the cost of compensating accident victims.
- The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
- Researchers at the University of York are studying the differing reactions of crime victims to their trauma.
- Help groups have praised a campaign urging victims of domestic violence not to suffer in silence.
- The Nazis who ran the camp tried to hide their crimes by marching their victims away.
- Residents of North Yorkshire are half as likely to be the victim of a violent crime as people in the country as a whole.
- I wanted to give priority to the defense of immigrant women who are victims of domestic violence.
- One of the key findings of the survey revealed fear of being a victim of violent crime did not make it into the top three.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.