In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1objetos de la época victoriana masculine
- The garden contained much of the Victoriana he had salvaged from in and around Keighley.
- Ozzy Osbourne lookalike Darren Marks from Leeds, was filmed with Victoriana, art nouveau and art deco expert Eric Knowles with his giant barge teapot.
- The room is tastefully decorated - though not to my taste - with layers of muted Victoriana.
- Now, I'm not a fan of Victoriana - not one of those women who has lace doilies on my end table and sachets in my bathroom.
- The Grill Room could be a set for Monarch of the Glen, or one of those retro Scottish Victoriana reproduction room displays you'd find in Big Box furniture warehouses.
- Rather than play with other kids, the young Lloyd Jenkins would hang out with the neighbours - elderly communists with a boat shed full of Victoriana, rescued from a St Mary's Bay home demolished for the harbour bridge.
- Not far from the base of the Christ Church tower - which is no longer a place of worship but an art gallery - stands a magnificent piece of early Victoriana which was once Hartlepool's great Wesleyan chapel.
- Visitors were able to browse a selection of Victoriana stalls from jewellery sellers and basket-weavers to rope makers, and there was plenty of street entertainment to be enjoyed, including jugglers, stilt-walkers and jazz musicians.
- Now Sally doesn't hesitate to mix vintage Hawaiiana with Victoriana.
- Instead of twee Victoriana, we found ourselves staring at a glass monolith that looked like it would be more at home in Florida than Fife.
- The fuddy-duddiness of Victoriana seemed to me so unfashionable in the 1990s: people wanted to have things like stainless-steel kitchens; they didn't want all this velvet over the tables and embroidery everywhere.
- Naturally it has the heritage decor that comes with the genre: dark wood, theatrical red, brazenly swirly carpets, brass coal scuttles and Quality Street faux Victoriana prints.
- In the sitting room chintz, collections of sherry glasses and relentless Paisley-esque carpet all conspire to create an idiosyncratic replica of Victoriana.
- This sombre painting, hung at the gallery's current Ben Nicholson display, may at first appear out of place - a piece of Victoriana surrounded by some of the most spare geometric abstraction ever produced in Britain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.