In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1victoria femininetriunfo masculineMilitary victoria feminineto be magnanimous in victory — ser clemente con los vencidos literary
- victory over sb/sth — victoria sobre algn/algo
- her victory over cancer was due to will power — derrotó al cáncer gracias a su fuerza de voluntad
- to win a victory (over sb/sth) — obtener una victoria (sobre algn/algo)
- The master alchemist of election victories claims to have detected a sea change in public opinion.
- Both sides came out hoping the seal victory but again there was a long hard battle ahead.
- It is also no good imagining that landslide victories are any guide to legitimacy.
- Black Tom Fairfax was the famous general who led his armies to tremendous victories in the Civil War.
- He played in other chess tournaments too with some notable victories over leading players.
- After all, British films are capable of scoring multiple nominations and victories.
- We will win victories we cannot now imagine, and live through shattering defeats.
- The repeal of the boycott last week is only a small victory in a battle that is not yet over.
- We supposedly go in as underdogs but if we win on French soil it will be a great victory for the club.
- Coventry came on the end of a successful run - eight victories in their last ten games.
- After some initial successes by the Italians, the Austrian armies began to win victories.
- Her determination brought its reward with a number of junior tournament victories.
- We had to get a victory somewhere and there was nowhere better than with this game.
- The top two in Division Five had excellent victories in the only two games played.
- In the end it was the narrowest of victories as Harrington's game fell apart on the 16th.
- Its creation marked a victory for the war party over the peace party led by the Earl of Essex.
- The first phase of the war ended with victories beyond Japanese expectations.
- Graf was having the year of her career and was on the way to four Grand Slam victories and Olympic gold.
- Their victory narrowed the gap at the top to just two points instead of being eight behind.
- Over the next few weeks the manager enjoyed a spectacular run of victories.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.