In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vilipendio masculine formal
- He has faced public humiliation and vilification with the same equanimity that he received public acknowledgement and praise.
- I have gone through financial ruin, personal vilification, the distress and dismay of my family.
- But on the face of it, the content of the books did not appear to constitute racial vilification or incitement to violence, he said.
- This campaign of vilification has had two main sources.
- For this disinterested behaviour their reward has been a campaign of vilification and innuendo which has left both of them feeling angry and betrayed.
- No exaggeration or vilification directed their way is too outrageous for consideration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.