In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine pueblofeminine aldeathe Olympic village — la ciudad olímpica
- the global village — la aldea global
- the village idiot — el tonto del pueblo
- village life — la vida de pueblo
- The parish council has also voiced its unease at more houses in the village and wants the area for community use.
- The population was essentially rural with numerous small villages and towns housing less than 1000 people.
- In seaside towns and villages, tourism and fishing are important parts of the economy.
- In villages and rural areas, Clifden and Carraroe are likely to see growth in employment and services.
- The coast I like, towns, villages, and even hamlets I like, but the countryside and I do not really get on.
- It has a busy town of characteristic corrugated iron buildings, and fishing villages of leaf houses built on poles over the water.
- The building later became the village hall, then a youth hostel with community use in the winter.
- Deaths can be prevented by drivers slowing down for the sake of our kids, particularly in towns, villages and on rural roads.
- Thankfully there are many more enlightened towns and villages in the area that welcome visitors however they may travel.
- In rural areas, villages are often composed of kin groups that offer support during difficult times.
- The Swinford / Charlestown route will run on Tuesdays and will connect towns and villages in the area.
- The role of women differs greatly between middle-class urban areas and rural villages.
- This space is a maze of back roads, a pattern of small hills, fine houses and pretty little villages.
- In many rural areas the police abandon villages and small towns after 5pm.
- Today one increasingly finds modern block and cement houses in both provincial villages and urban areas.
- In many towns and villages, such a house acts not only as a place to live, but also as a tourist attraction, bringing visitors in their droves.
- The main town would be the central point of an area with the outriding hamlets and villages contributing to the town's collection.
- The charity is even planning a portable gym that can be packed in a van and taken to village halls in the area.
- It enhances the rural areas and towns and villages look so much better when litter free.
- People can vote at the village post office, in the village hall or post their ballot slip to the county council.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.