In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(physical force)violencia feminineto use violence — hacer uso de la fuerza / de la violencia
- he threatened me with violence — me amenazó con recurrir a la violencia
- a rise in levels of violence — una escalada de violencia
- robbery with violence — robo (con fuerza / violencia)
- to do violence to sth — distorsionar algo
- There had been some physical violence, but a court safety order seemed to sort that.
- One act of violence against another is an act of violence against one's self.
- What I do not respect however is people who kill or otherwise use violence against people for any reason.
- But the down side is the possibility of violence and bad behaviour on the streets.
- New laws could be passed in a bid to tackle the increasing levels of violence against nurses and hospital staff.
- It is now being recognised that there is a problem of increased violence against staff.
- He began life in a violent way but has learnt to channel that physical violence into creative energy.
- The scheme comes about in response to increased levels of violence against health workers.
- The most serious incidents include criminal damage and violence against people.
- She is pushing for changes in the penal code for rape and violence against women.
- All four defendants deny they were responsible for any of the violence against him.
- The aims of the campaign are to highlight the prevalence of violence against women.
- The trouble then spreads to town centre takeaways with incidents of criminal damage and violence.
- We found a clear relation between experiencing controlling behaviour and violence.
- Family violence is one of the most insidious forms of violence against women.
- More people were killed in political violence in those four years, than in the previous thirty.
- What hurts most about domestic violence is that the bruises on your body are created by somebody you love.
- His attitude showed how domestic violence can be as damaging mentally as it is physically.
- Poor behaviour and violence in class is said to be one of the most challenging aspects of teaching.
- Police have warned fans that that any violence or bad behaviour will not be tolerated.
2(of storm, reaction, emotion)violencia feminine
- Alarmed by the violence of her sorrow and by being a witness to it, but impatient with the sorrow itself, Ray was a poor pacifier.
- No blood is spilled in the book - but its emotional violence is devastating.
- The violence of the wind had lessened - though the air remained redolent with the smell of dust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.