- The pieces in Musicks Hand-maide are transcriptions of such music, played here on the virginals.
- Some Flemish ‘mother and child’ virginals were made effectively double-manual by having a small 4 virginals tucked away in a drawer beside the keyboard.
- It's a chest of whistles, it's a set of virginals, it's just about anything you want to make of it.
- The Musical Director tried out some tunes on the virginals but none of them was up to much until they came to this one.
- The virginals in Vermeer's The Music Lesson are recognizable as instruments created by the firm of Ruckers, and the standard dimensions of their design are used as a cross-check by Steadman for the dimensions of the room as a whole.