In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(act/thought/circle) virtuosoI feel quite virtuous having written all those letters — me siento muy orgullosa de haber escrito todas esas cartas
- The consummation, the crowning glory of a well-lived life, happiness would be granted only to the worthy, the virtuous, the god-like happy few.
- The women's critique broke down views of virtue and vice that associated smoke with virtuous masculine industriousness and clean air with vicious feminized luxury.
- Virgos are virtuous, ethical and kind-hearted.
- He presented himself as an honest and virtuous man, a spokesman for the outsiders in society.
- Athlete behavior is meant to be exemplary and virtuous and sustain the rags to riches myths of successful sports stars from humble origins.
- Religions and true religious leaders have always motivated us to indulge only in noble thoughts and virtuous actions.
- It's hypocritical in the sense that these people all lie yet proclaim themselves virtuous and honest, yes.
- For one thing, the sanctimonious sermons by journalists about how virtuous and upstanding they are make them easy to detest.
- These guidelines state that if physicians must be moral and virtuous, the associations representing them must exhibit the same qualities and be seen to be acting in an altruistic fashion.
- Being virtuous means knowing the right time, place, circumstance, and manner in which to be courageous.
- The first few pages of the letter reflect the virtuous principles that a mother would try to inculcate into her daughter in the 18th century.
- That's why part of the school's mission is to build ‘a diverse, virtuous and moral America,’ he said.
- Should applications of technology be socially virtuous by any standard?
- Understanding the way karma works, we seek to live a good and virtuous life through right thought, right speech and right action.
- I, for one, from reading the Book of Job and having knowledge about the Eightfold Path would know that I have done the right thing by being virtuous since it would aid me in achieving nirvana.
- He is a virtuous, moral man with dignity and strength, not the mild-mannered pushover of decades past.
- Another feature of ceremonial discourse is that it will praise the virtuous and the good because it is designed for its receiver's pleasure.
- I've seen Titanic enough times to know that rich people are fatuous and greedy, while poor people are noble and virtuous.
- Indeed, a parent who made his love conditional upon a child's maintaining some particular standard of virtuous behavior would be rightly regarded as something of a monster.
- Many have thought that having certain emotions is an important part of what it is to be a virtuous moral agent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.