In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Theory predicts that the quantum vacuum behaves in some ways like a viscous fluid.
- In some cases, they have been burnt by leaking mustard gas, which, despite its name, is a thick, viscous liquid.
- Gentle heating for about five hours produces a sauce which is thick and viscous in consistency.
- Looking to the blood red moon I lift the vial and pour a black viscous liquid into my open mouth.
- A viscous, silvery liquid flowed down his arms and solidified into a pair of claws.
- Some volcanoes appear similar to those formed from eruption of thick, viscous lavas on Earth.
- When large intermolecular forces are present, a liquid will tend to be thick or highly viscous.
- Their thick, viscous blood rained heavy upon the ground, oozing into scale, skin and fur.
- If the lava is very viscous, and there is a great deal of gas present, pumice is formed.
- Aloe vera juice is a yellowish viscous liquid - it shouldn't look or taste like water.
- Our cars run on fuel, which, to some, is a thick viscous liquid that needs to be filled in the petrol tank periodically.
- Naturally, it would take a long time for a very viscous liquid to be squeezed out of a sponge and to percolate to the top.
- She then suddenly spat at him, her saliva mixed with thick, viscous blood.
- His hands were coated in viscous white liquid and he waved them around maniacally.
- Various viscous liquids were used in the heating process to emulsify the rubber.
- The fog bank looked thick, almost viscous, seeming to have a life all its own.
- The honey is much thicker and more viscous, and it pours very slowly compared with the water.
- They crowded around the counter drowning themselves in glass after shot glass of viscous liquid.
- The joint also produces a thick viscous fluid called synovial fluid, which helps in smooth and painless movement.
- As his eyes cleared, Nicholas found himself in a huge vat of viscous liquid.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.