In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1saco vocal masculinebucal
- In Rhinoderma darwinii, males retain the tadpoles in their vocal sacs until the young metamorphose.
- Sex was determined from the presence or absence of vocal sacs and thumb pads.
- This frog thumps its gular pouch against the soft soil where it lies and rapidly inflates its vocal sac.
- Calling site was noted by counting males in calling posture (or with an inflated vocal sac) near each pool.
- There are dads who incubate their babies in their mouths, their vocal sacs, and in pouches.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.