In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Regarding throat cancers: the most common site should be the voice box, also termed the larynx.
- In 1999, he overcame throat cancer, but in removing the tumor he lost his larynx and now speaks through a mechanical voice box.
- Asbestos is linked to lung cancer, mesothelioma, cancer of the voice box, mouth, kidney, and digestive tract cancers.
- This is a very unpleasant disease because it usually involves mutilating surgery to remove it, sometimes with loss of the voice box.
- The male voice box also shrunk, resembling the female version.
- For most men, the vocal folds in the larynx, or voice box, vibrate 100 times per second as air passes from the windpipe into the mouth and through the lips.
- As adults, we retain only a few vestiges of cartilage - in the nose, the ear, the voice box, the disks between the vertebrae, and at the ends of free-moving bones.
- This is the inflammation and narrowing of the voice box, the main air tube to the lungs, and the larger branching air tubes (the bronchi).
- The voice box or larynx is a unique organ responsible for producing sounds.
- A hoarse voice is the first complaint of a person with a problem in the voice box.
- This features progressive paralysis of the tongue, throat and voice box so that swallowing and speaking become difficult or impossible.
- The surgeons were able to manipulate different elements in the voice box with a high degree of dexterity that would be tremendously difficult using conventional instruments.
- Giving up smoking will not only prevent several heart diseases but also protect the person from lung cancer, chronic bronchitis and cancer of the voice box, bladder and cervix.
- All of this breathing couldn't happen without help from the respiratory system, which includes the nose, throat, voice box, windpipe, and lungs.
- The specimen had an intact hyoid bone, located at the back of the tongue, which is where the voice box hangs.
- This means inflammation of the part of the windpipe above the voice box.
- Oral cancers occur in the mouth and the back of the throat, the tonsil, tongue, lip and voice box.
- A continuous hoarseness of the voice may indicate that the cancer is pressing on the nerves to the voice box.
- Vocal sounds are made by forcing air through a voice box in the throat.
- People can get cancer of the mouth, of the bladder, the pancreas and the voice box.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.