In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)voto oral masculinevoto a viva voz masculine
- The Senate passed the legislation with a unanimous voice vote, thereby avoiding individual public accountability for senators - Republican and Democratic - who supported the bill.
- The Committee approved her nomination by a voice vote.
- At a mass meeting of 4,000 teachers on Friday union members ratified a five-year contract by a unanimous voice vote.
- Instead, the Senate leadership used a voice vote procedure that did not require a quorum (a simple majority) to pass.
- Senators approved the measure by a voice vote with only one minor change in the legislation approved by the House two weeks ago.
- While the full Senate voted on him by a voice vote (thus votes for and against him were not recorded for the record), there was heated debate over him on the Senate floor.
- Democrats declined to push for a roll-call vote on the issue, allowing the Republican plan to pass on a voice vote.
- The House of Representatives approved the moratorium last month by a unanimous voice vote, but it is unclear if it will be retained in the final House-Senate conference report.
- In a panic reaction, the government placed a hastily drafted bill in the assembly which was passed soon after with a voice vote without any discussion.
- The Senate issued its final approval in 2003 by voice vote.
- That's why the Senate, I think, did it on a voice vote yesterday so nobody had to be on record of voting for it.
- According to the official site the amendment passed on a voice vote.
- The Senate leadership's bipartisan agreement to hold a voice vote on the measure constituted a cowardly maneuver to allow individual senators to conceal their support for the occupation.
- Senate Republicans have agreed to let the bill pass with a voice vote.
- The Finance Committee approved the agreement by a voice vote, although it was closely divided on the issue.
- The bill passed the House in a 261-161 voice vote, with 42 Democrats joining the Republican majority to support the measure.
- It is requiring that routine business be submitted in written form instead of allowing the chamber to use a voice vote to take care of issues and move on to real business.
- Many of the despicable representatives don't even have the nuts to admit that they voted for it, since it was done in a voice vote.
- The measure that passed the Senate last week did so on a voice vote.
- By agreement with the leaders of both parties, the loophole was rushed through with no debate and only a voice vote, so they did not have to go on record as having cast their first vote of the new Congress for a special perk for themselves.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.