In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bride looked stunning in an ivory train bodice and voile skirt.
- Made from a voile fabric in a honeycombed Venetian style, these blinds create a lovely window feature, while allowing diffused light to get through.
- There are also silk taffeta, stretch satin and stretch voile, silk chiffon dresses and printed silk kimonos.
- Finally, black made its ubiquitous appearance in a host of linen tuxedo jackets and pants for men and a cotton voile sleeping shirt worn with satin short shorts for women.
- Lighter window treatments such as voile and muslin can diffuse daylight into a room with designer effects.
- There is an air of chic relaxation in the classic linen, crisp poplin and delicate voiles shot against the rocks and pinewoods of Corsica.
- If your windows are cloaked in dark, heavy curtains consider investing in paler more diffuse material in voile, set in casual drifts behind tie-backs.
- Using muslin, voile, paper and many other delicate fabrics, learn how to mould and shape the material into individual vases and bowls.
- He added big floral prints drenched with reminiscence and balanced retro-looking fabrics like lightweight cotton voile and washed twill with modern nylon and Lycra blends.
- This installation comprised sheets of voile and silk suspended like washing on three lines.
- To them, we suggest trying a shade close to charcoal, in a soft fabric such as organza, voile or chiffon, and accessorising it with some striking white jewellery.
- Fabrics are those of traditional lingerie, such as cotton, in a range of textures: batiste, voile, gauze.
- The case is lined with white voile with green polka dots, of course.
- A light breeze blew the fine voile curtains away from the windows and early morning light chased away all the shadows.
- Cut voile fabric to drape over the table, tracing the edges of the white skirt for a guide; no need to hem or size it carefully for this temporary look.
- Key materials for winter 2005 include mohair, wool, voile and leather.
- The designer's collection for this season has chiffons, georgettes, and voiles along with cotton, which is always in vogue.
- Clean cotton curtains in the same pale shades fitted to curtain poles to give them lift, or else wood-slatted blinds softened by voile curtains, add the finishing touch.
- I loved her long cream monk coats with decorative pleating on the sleeves and voile detailing on the neck.
- Materials range from voile and organza to dyed python and nylon mesh.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.