In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unforced)voluntariovoluntary contribution — donativo masculine
- voluntary manslaughter — homicidio con circunstancias atenuantes
2(unpaid)(work) voluntario(organization) de beneficenciavoluntary service — servicio de voluntariado masculine
- (in UK) Voluntary Service Overseas — voluntariado en el extranjero
- voluntary worker — voluntaria
- she helps on a voluntary basis — ayuda como voluntaria
- More voluntary helpers are needed in Kilconduff cemetery on Saturday mornings at 10 am to help with the digging, cleaning, strimming and weeding.
- The voluntary housing association is planning an ‘affordable’ housing estate for the near future to meet the increasing demand in the area.
- The Corporation was also involved in affordable housing schemes in the City and also played a major role in the various voluntary housing projects being constructed in Waterford.
- The Committee take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support, and a special word of thanks also to all the voluntary helpers and committee.
- While maintaining the voluntary element in its structure the management of the Board are grateful for funding from diverse Government sources and for the hard working staff thus funded.
- The chairperson in her address thanked all the voluntary helpers, especially the minibus drivers and all the people who patronised the centre during the year.
- Meals-on-Wheels urgently requires 2 voluntary helpers/cooks to assist in the preparing, cooking and dishing out dinners and deserts.
- A town of charm and dignity, much improved in recent years due mainly to the labours of this committee and a very large number of voluntary helpers.
- The Government funding is available for subsidised housing, covering accommodation rented to tenants from local authorities and aid for voluntary housing areas.
- Many shows are struggling to make financial ends meet and are increasingly dependant on voluntary helpers and sponsorship.
- As the work is ongoing more voluntary helpers are needed to help complete the work.
- It later emerged an untrained voluntary helper had taken 10 boys on a morning walk.
- Council leaders, voluntary groups and housing associations will be invited to put forward people to take part in the controversial scheme.
- The 90-unit development will comprise of travellers accommodation, local authority housing and voluntary housing.
- The school cleaner volunteers have been protesting for about a month outside the gates of the legislature, demanding payment for voluntary work offered since 1997.
- ‘I have grave concerns about handing our work over to voluntary housing organisations,’ she said.
- ‘We know that some of the voluntary housing agencies are in discussions with land-owners in the town,’ he said.
- Local authorities and other public bodies, housing associations and voluntary organisations, all need to work together to respond the complex needs of young people who are socially excluded.
- Overall the vast majority of voluntary organizations expressed satisfaction with the quality of their evaluations and believe that they use the results effectively.
- He added: ‘I look forward to further funding in the voluntary housing sector in this county in the future.’
de órgano o trompeta
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.