In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vocal feminine(sound/system) vocálico
- His voice is also surprisingly cultured, far more so in many ways than Jagger's flattened vowels.
- Expiration of air through vibrating vocal cords, used in the production of vowels and voiced consonants.
- In Guaraní, 12 vowels are distinguished, six oral vowels and six nasal vowels.
- What specialists like Liberman are schooled in, is the rules for sound-shifts in vowels and consonants in any language across the centuries.
- I have never, for instance, heard a speaker of English condemn the nasal vowels or the dropped consonants of the French language.
- When his operas are sung in any other language, the shift in vowels, consonants, and rhythms changes the character of the music.
- The language recodes the vowels and consonants of individual Spanish words into whistles.
- In Miami-Illinois, as in other Algonquian languages, vowel length is phonemic, that is, it is an absolute determining factor in the shape and meaning of words.
- Vowels so marked are described as long, and unmarked vowels are short, a distinction known as vowel length.
- In Swahili, which is a Bantu language, vowels are pronounced as they are in Spanish or Italian.
- Vitruvius's remarks show a sophisticated interest in the different acoustic behaviours of consonants and vowels.
- Stressed syllables retain full vowel quality, whereas unstressed syllables may have weak vowels.
- After blending consonants and vowels, syllables are blended into words and words are used in meaningful sentences.
- Lavender was 75 years old, and produced vowel sounds that have disappeared everywhere else.
- If I understand the transliteration right, the vowel quality would also be closer to American English cat than cot.
- The accumulated differences in the vowels, consonants, and syllable lengths gives dramatic speech a totally different pace.
- Even the name seems pregnant with significance - that defiant strangeness, those open, dreamy vowels.
- In Chinese pronunciation, basic vowels can form vowel combinations with each other or with a nasal consonant.
- I love the garrulous, argumentative people, with their speech, which boasts impressively rounded vowels.
- The double consonant signifies that the preceding vowel remains short.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.