In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1esclavo (del trabajo) masculineesclava (del trabajo) femininecurrante feminine Spain informal
- There is nothing post-modern about being a wage slave.
- A wage slave, you work for $8 an hour at some big box store - and this might be it for the rest of your life.
- In the marketplace everything becomes a commodity and all workers become wage slaves who can be fired without compunction.
- Unfortunately for savers, they are being slaughtered by inflation very silently but at least they are alive to work like a wage slave for another day.
- I'd said it before, during my time as a B&N wage slave, and it had never come back to haunt me.
- Why work as a wage slave when the promise of big payoff from being on TV is only an audition away?
- We are, in effect, wage slaves for huge corporations which were designed in the 19th century.
- Now, my husband is in a business that is expanding and will probably bring in more money annually than the two of us ever made as wage slaves.
- Suffice to say, much as I would love to be a wage slave again for the sake of my dreams of becoming a homeowner, I am not ready.
- I am a writer, a musician, an activist, but maybe most importantly right now, I am a student and I am a wage slave.
- The make billions each year and treat their ‘associates’ like wage slaves.
- Years ago I was working as a wage slave, collecting carts for my local grocery store.
- Not only do entrepreneurs have to work differently from the wage slave, they have to think differently, too.
- There were plenty of ‘good salary’ job offers but he rejected all those as he did not want to be a wage slave.
- In the 1970s the plight of the Third World coffee farmer was the first wake-up call that modern agribusiness was transforming subsistence farmers into wage slaves.
- The self-indulgent lifestyle of the celebrity nouveau riches is as far from her experience as it is from any wage slave in a tedious job.
- The mass entry of women into the workplace has transformed them from unpaid domestic slaves into wage slaves with cash to spend.
- Most of the children are refugees or illegal immigrants or are themselves the children of agricultural wage slaves.
- We, as wage slaves, are accustomed to thinking of income in a very narrow way: what we got paid.
- It is an opportunity to acquire knowledge and new skills, keep the brain cells ticking over and have fun you never had time for when you were a wage slave.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.