In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1despido masculinepasaporte masculine informalto give sb her/his walking papers — poner a algn de patitas en la calle informal
- she got her walking papers — la echaron
- ‘He shouldn't get a medal and he shouldn't get a promotion; he should get his walking papers,’ Udall said in a Friday release.
- It never happened, and Silas gave him his walking papers after weeks of grumbling and complaining about his role.
- The exec actually handed in his own walking papers on Dec. 21.
- So she rewarded your years of loyalty to OmniCorp by using up your knowledge and handing you your walking papers.
- That's why the two profs, Chris Burden and Nancy Rubins, decided to call it quits and turned in their walking papers.
- But if she has no regrets about always offending you, hand her some walking papers.
- Postmodernists who insist the press ‘constructs’ the news should take note that this Dewey Defeats Truman debacle earned Henning his walking papers.
- It was not their task to give him his walking papers.
- I understand giving Gerald Levin his walking papers, but getting rid of Case is pure pique.
- They just decided to not try to sell records and then wondered why our records weren't selling and gave us our walking papers.
- In other words, Sinatra had served his purpose and it was time to give him his walking papers.
- With GM Kevin Malone finally getting his walking papers from the Dodgers, the only question remaining is what took them so long?
- Long time drummer Ken Coomer was given his walking papers when singer/guitarist Jeff Tweedy felt that the percussionist wasn't the right person for the rapidly changing group.
- A lot of veterans figure to get their walking papers, including cornerback Charles Woodson and receiver Jerry Porter.
- To add insult to injury, he's been given his walking papers by his latest girlfriend.
- There's nothing on their website, but this might be because their news-updater was one of the 15 plus staff members who received their own walking papers yesterday.
- Rosen and Weissman have been handed their walking papers, and AIPAC is backpedaling furiously on its previous statements denying any wrongdoing by its employees.
- So with the future of the franchise hanging in the balance, the Lakers turned to Phil Jackson, almost a year after the coach was given his walking papers by team owner Jerry Buss.
- Raines and Boyd have been given their walking papers, but the dirtiest clods of all so far have avoided the broom.
- Management plans to hand out walking papers to an unknown number of workers on Jan 14.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.