In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(from talks, meeting)
- We have had a massive rejection of the pay offer and there have been unofficial walkouts.
- Refuse collectors in Coventry staged an unofficial walkout on Wednesday of last week.
- The walkout was provoked by a monitoring system BA wants to introduce.
- The proposed cuts were met with mass walkouts, first by public sector workers and then by the rest of the Argentine unions.
- They know this would probably lead to solidarity walkouts and a wider strike.
- There were walkouts of council workers in neighbourhood offices around Birmingham.
- Before the game, players staged an impromptu walkout to protest ever-rising salaries.
- Journalists in New Zealand are either on strike, or are planning walkouts over work contract negotiations.
- Dawn picket lines were set up Monday following a weekend walkout over pay.
- Ahonen described the walkouts on April 27 as ‘demonstrations’ rather than strikes.
- Pupils staged a walkout in May to protest about teaching standards.
- The delay comes as protests, including walkouts by hundreds of students opposed to the takeover, have mounted in recent weeks.
- Rival DaimlerChrysler last month struck a deal with trade unions, but only after its plans had prompted walkouts and protests.
- The Herald strike follows a series of walkouts by journalists and printers over the last three weeks.
- For the past five weeks, the workers have staged walkouts, placed bans on overtime and worked-to-rule.
- Austrian workers have staged three mass walkouts, the biggest strikes in the country since 1945.
- We were fortunate in that the day afterwards the council management called a meeting at which someone suggested a protest walkout.
- We need to seriously discuss college occupations, mass protests, and walkouts and strikes to stop the war machine.
- Civil servants announced their campaign against an imposed pay deal with unofficial walkouts and will be balloting for strikes next month.
- Shier was eventually removed as managing director after a series of staff walkouts and national protests.
retirada en señal de protesta
abandono del trabajo como medida reivindicatoria
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.