In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(memories/experiences) de la guerraduring / in wartime — durante la guerra
- The law was originally designed to protect the merchant navy from financial ruin during wartime.
- During wartime and particularly in the 1940s, tractors took over from horses in a big way.
- Opposition to war was not taken to mean that existence in wartime involved no Christian duties.
- But in wartime we are even less able, and willing, than usual to see ourselves as others see us.
- In wartime, there would be no food to waste, but with your care and co-operation we shall have enough.
- Victims of the disaster and their rescuers saw sights normally seen only by the military in wartime.
- Since it was reopened last week, the site has resembled a military base during wartime.
- If we can so successfully manage the media in wartime, why can't we do the same in peace time?
- For a nation going to the polls in wartime, no issue matters more than character.
- Josie had always heard that in some towns soldiers are treated like saviors during wartime and this proved it.
- They need to figure out a way to sort of complete the role of the president in wartime.
- Eventually, the government will impose the kind of restrictions normally used in wartime.
- Youngsters from Southbroom Junior School have been finding out about Britain during wartime.
- The first photograph shows soldiers being conscripted during wartime as victims on an army production line.
- It was a courage manifest in wartime and widowhood, a courage that endured to the end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.