In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(faded)(fabric) descolorido(color) pálido(color) lavado River Plate informal
- My sister and I stood in the funeral home's back room, painted a washed-out green like an old cafeteria's kitchen.
- A cool day and the distant ridge of the Ngong hills is pale against the washed-out sky, with a thin layer of cloud flat and hard over the city.
- The girl staring back at me looked washed out and tired.
- Colors never looked washed out or faded, and blacks were solid with no signs of gray.
- Her husband did however have a tired, washed out look about him.
- In close-ups it often shines too brightly on the singers, especially as the camera pans in, making them appear pale and washed out at times.
- The sick days have me looking washed out, pale and super-ugly, so I think a trip to the gym, the tanning bed and the hair salon are reasonable treats to make me feel better tomorrow morning!
- I'm feeling a bit perkier this morning, but still really tired and washed out.
- In the hospital, washed-out blue is the new black.
- When it comes to jeans, vintage, washed-out denim is this season's trend.
- She was dressed in washed-out blue jeans that seemed to hug all the right places.
- Oh, I acquitted myself well enough and no-one got bruised, but I ended the working day feeling washed out, tired and a little downcast.
- Sitting next to Nancy was a paler, washed-out version of Taylor.
- Warm reds, oranges and yellows fade to washed-out blues and muted greens, as the situations change and soulful jazz underscores moments of levity and pain.
- The sleeves of his black shirt were rolled to his elbows and his washed out black jeans added charm to his looks.
- Both movies share a bewitching visual style - lots of washed-out blues and greys, and the inscrutable narrative stylings of the best European art house fare.
- This autumn's colours are vile though, browns or an insipid pink and washed-out pale blue.
- She wore dark, washed-out jeans that complemented her curves.
- Colors are generally faded and washed out, giving much of the movie a sort of beige sameness.
- He looked awful; his skin was pale and his washed-out eyes had disturbingly-dark circles under them.
- There are more troubles with outdoor, brightly sunlit scenes, where colors tend to look a bit washed-out and faded.
- I am tired - feeling a bit dulled and washed out at the edges.
- The cinematography matches well with the tone of the film - indoor shots are muted with washed-out grays and blues, soft but rich colors.
- Her father was his normal, sedated self, perhaps mildly drunk, looking around the room as if he were in a dream, his pale, washed-out features expressionless.
- The color palette is a bit washed out, faded, but I think this is the print itself, and not a fault of the transfer process.
- Yet again Shirley Henderson shines in a supporting role, her amazing use of a washed-out pale blue hoodie managing to convey her rage and pain after a humiliating break-up of her own.
- You'll find colors washed out, muted, pale, and mostly inaccurate - with a skew toward blues.
- The spew in my hair, my top missing, this alien bathroom with its funny shower tiles, a kind of washed out blue with sea plants and animals inserted what seemed like randomly in between.
- If possible, he looked even more attractive in pyjama bottoms and that white, washed-out shirt.
- The disc replicates that look accurately, leaving skin tones extremely pale and colors totally washed out.
- His eyes were a pale, washed-out blue, and there were dark circles under his eyes.
- Inside there was a solider, he looked tired and washed out.
3US(damaged by floods)(debido a una inundación) dañado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.