In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I knew what I was doing wasn't right, and a lot of people are a lot worse off than we were.
- The next morning my mum told me they had been on the phone saying I wasn't meant to leave.
- He says that it wasn't until then that he felt able to fully share his emotions with women.
- He was still hitting me but I was thinking he had my money and I wasn't going to let him go.
- He had his arms down at one point, trying to draw me in but I wasn't going to get involved.
- It wasn't bad enough to refuse to eat or pay for, but it wasn't good enough to entice us back.
- The specialist wasn't quite sure what the problem was and that is why he went back to see him.
- I would like to think it wasn't a true reflection and tonight we can show that is the case.
- He wasn't the first or last pioneer to come to grief in man's quest to conquer the skies.
- It wasn't until very late in the novel that my own feelings came into it, and by then it was too late.
- In June the sea was warm enough to swim in but the weather wasn't too hot for sightseeing.
- They told us that the building wasn't standing any more and we were in the centre of rubble.
- Having backed himself into a corner he still wasn't big enough to admit he was wrong.
- He told me that wasn't necessary, and that they live here, and that they are used to it.
- The place wasn't exactly packed but that is perhaps to be expected on the first night.
- The police said he wasn't, they said he was up north, and as it turned out they were right.
- While it wasn't that bad, for one set of fans in the corner of the ground, it sure felt like it.
- It wasn't great when a pair of tenants turned up alone for a viewing the other day.
- If it wasn't a private firm, we would probably be hearing an awful lot more about it.
- I guess a guy in a tutu and clown shoes wasn't part of the threat scenarios they planned on.
- was not
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.