In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1avispa femininewasps' nest — avispero
- It didn't kill the wasps, the nest was made of paper so it absorbed the shock and just split open.
- When a male wasp crashes into the orchid, it gets covered with orchid pollen.
- Bites from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants are typically the most troublesome.
- Among the Caribs, the girls undergo a similar ritual, except that stinging ants rather than wasps are used.
- Most stinging wasps and bees are beneficial and should be preserved unless they pose a direct hazard to humans.
- Another hazard that sometimes faced the picker was disturbing a nest of wasps or some other stinging creatures.
- I was cleaning up my flowerbeds for fall when a wasp flew up and stung me on the cheek.
- I myself was stung by some wasps and went into mild anaphylactic shock.
- When a nasty wasp stung two of us, the shaman congratulated us, saying it would help mitigate the future contraction of arthritis.
- I could see the anxiety on Zack's face when the wasp buzzed past a second time.
- Once, he was bitten by a horrendous dog, and was also stung by a wasp.
- Swarms of bees and wasps would also have nested in the forest.
- The latest accident is thought to have been triggered when one of the horses was stung by a wasp, causing it to bolt.
- I wouldn't mind, as I remind my wife, but I've never in my life been stung by a wasp.
- But this is the time of year that a lot of people usually get stung by wasps or bees.
- In many eusocial wasps, nests are founded by single females that remain alone until offspring emergence.
- A nest of wasps gathered in my mother-in-law's garden shed and I bought a spray and killed them all.
- I closed my eyes and held my breath when the wasp stung me.
- It stung like a million wasps, but suddenly, my hand was back to normal.
- Common wasps are social insects and live in nests of up to around 10,000 workers.
- Old-guard Wasps appear to feel threatened by the newly rich and their growing influence around the city, and dismiss new money as ‘tasteless and gauche.’
- But the criticism of WASPs as a group, says Brookhiser, is only a symptom of a deeper ill.
white Anglo-Saxon Protestant
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.