In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1avispa femininewasps' nest — avispero masculine
- Bites from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants are typically the most troublesome.
- Another hazard that sometimes faced the picker was disturbing a nest of wasps or some other stinging creatures.
- Common wasps are social insects and live in nests of up to around 10,000 workers.
- Once, he was bitten by a horrendous dog, and was also stung by a wasp.
- It stung like a million wasps, but suddenly, my hand was back to normal.
- Most stinging wasps and bees are beneficial and should be preserved unless they pose a direct hazard to humans.
- When a male wasp crashes into the orchid, it gets covered with orchid pollen.
- A nest of wasps gathered in my mother-in-law's garden shed and I bought a spray and killed them all.
- I myself was stung by some wasps and went into mild anaphylactic shock.
- Swarms of bees and wasps would also have nested in the forest.
- I wouldn't mind, as I remind my wife, but I've never in my life been stung by a wasp.
- It didn't kill the wasps, the nest was made of paper so it absorbed the shock and just split open.
- Among the Caribs, the girls undergo a similar ritual, except that stinging ants rather than wasps are used.
- I was cleaning up my flowerbeds for fall when a wasp flew up and stung me on the cheek.
- The latest accident is thought to have been triggered when one of the horses was stung by a wasp, causing it to bolt.
- But this is the time of year that a lot of people usually get stung by wasps or bees.
- I closed my eyes and held my breath when the wasp stung me.
- When a nasty wasp stung two of us, the shaman congratulated us, saying it would help mitigate the future contraction of arthritis.
- In many eusocial wasps, nests are founded by single females that remain alone until offspring emergence.
- I could see the anxiety on Zack's face when the wasp buzzed past a second time.
- But the criticism of WASPs as a group, says Brookhiser, is only a symptom of a deeper ill.
- Old-guard Wasps appear to feel threatened by the newly rich and their growing influence around the city, and dismiss new money as ‘tasteless and gauche.’
white Anglo-Saxon Protestant; persona de la clase privilegiada de los EEUU, blanca, anglosajona y protestante
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.