In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dog)perro guardián masculine
- The Gauls tried to climb the Capitol at night, eluding the watchdogs and the Roman guard, but the flock of geese sacred to Juno spotted them and roused the Romans in time.
- Other birds such as the duck go in the daytime but return at night for shelter and safety, provided by our deerhound Lucky - a great watchdog and hunter.
- At last the farm is established as a going concern, but the animals are surprised to find that - except for the pigs and their protectors, the watchdogs - life is exactly as hard and painful as it always had been.
- In the same vein, having fur and teeth and canine DNA doesn't necessarily make your dog a reliable watchdog.
- The Scottie makes a fine watchdog and is completely loyal and loving.
- Ideal as a watchdog, this dog will neither be aggressive nor cringe with fear on accosting a stranger.
- Some policies even consider the dog's lifestyle; for instance, whether your dog is purely a pet or a watchdog, too.
- It is likely that large dogs were first introduced into this region as watchdogs and companions for the monks during the long winter months when the hospice was fairly isolated.
- Just as a watchdog guards a home, so the agency should be vigilant against fraudulent or dangerous products.
- Dogs are prized for hunting purpose, and as watchdogs and as pets, and, further, many dogs have actual commercial and market value.
- The Daily also reported that there were about 50,000 dogs in Lhasa - some kept as watchdogs or pets and others for religious reasons.
- An excellent companion, schipperkes are ideal playmates for children and keen watchdogs for the family home.
2masculine guardiánfeminine guardianamasculine organismo de control
- Posters for a brand of alcohol were criticised by the advertising watchdog today for containing sexual innuendo.
- And he accused the watchdog of being slow to react and of holding back essential research.
- There are consumer watchdog groups gaining in strength, and there's also the role of the popular media.
- Postal deliveries are so slow in December there is no point using first class stamps, a consumer watchdog warns.
- The official said that that the watchdog body was unwilling to upset any political parties ahead of the presidential election.
- Accordingly, the complicity of watchdog agencies with corporate interests comes as no surprise.
- The Government's financial watchdog has not accepted the department's accounts for the past 15 years.
- The nuclear watchdog that was there did not see it.
- The council is the watchdog established to set, monitor and enforce standards in all areas of general insurance, including the fair treatment of customers.
- Almost 240 people complained to the advertising industry watchdog after the advert appeared in national newspapers.
- To others it's an essential watchdog needed to prevent discriminatory practices in the workplace.
- Trading standards watchdogs are warning businesses to be on their guard against a bogus bills scam.
- Trade magazines, references and industry watchdog agencies can help a company find reputable firms.
- The watchdog's practice of warning nurseries of the month that they would be inspected was also highlighted.
- The trading watchdog is currently undertaking a review of estate agents' practices.
- A government spending watchdog today launched a scathing attack on attempts to cut congestion.
- He also pledged to be a watchdog for the council's spending habits.
- There will be a watchdog to check up on the operation of the scheme.
- The US financial watchdog has said that all firms must now certify the accuracy of their accounts.
- An independent safety watchdog has already advised the Government that 19 of London Underground's deepest stations should be affected.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.