In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1castaña de agua feminine
- Sweetened scrambled egg yolk with water chestnuts, sweet corns and dried fruits is a dim sum created by the chef, crisp and soft.
- Drain the vinegar from the clam and add the sweet pea juice, wasabi, water chestnuts, chili, parsley and sea salt and toss to combine.
- Create themes for your raw veggies such as an Asian mix with snow peas, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and bok choy.
- Deep-frozen eyeballs might have the same consistency, somewhere between a water chestnut and a lychee; a cavernous void would have had more flavour.
- After 1 minute, add snow peas, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sliced red capsicum to wok.
- The dish included a good range of crunchy vegetables - broccoli, green peppers, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, cashew nuts and onion among them.
- Or add flavour at the end in the form of smoked or raw fish, scallops, sliced and marinated beef, Chinese roast pork, finely chopped water chestnut or finely shredded iceberg lettuce.
- This was not your usual lumps of chicken floating on a sea of oyster sauce and a sprinkle of cashews, but had crispy water chestnuts, some pieces of sausage, mushroom and fried chilli as well.
- Oh, I thought this was a potato, but they're more like water chestnuts.
- The sautéed mushrooms, celery, tiny corn, water chestnut and snow peas are specially recommended - they were healthy and light, half fried so that the colour was bright and the vegetables crisp and full of juice.
- Clark spears a water chestnut with his chopstick while trying to pick it up.
- The water chestnuts went with the baby corn and straw mushrooms very well, and the cream cut the chilli heat to perfection.
- Add the prawns, cornflour, paste and bamboo shoots, carrots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts.
- Be careful because a tiny cube of crisp water chestnut, together with some hot juice, is wrapped in the core of each ball.
- With her fingers, she picked up a water chestnut experimentally and placed it in her mouth.
- In the latter stages of cooking add water chestnuts, small corns, green beans and a tin of coconut milk.
- Add ginger, dried and fresh mushrooms, water chestnuts and beansprouts and toss well.
- Drain well, then add beans, orange sections and water chestnuts.
- The sizzling chicken with a spicy Peking sauce proved very popular and came with bean sprouts, crispy water chestnuts and small shapes of carrot in a very tasty sweet and sour barbecue sauce.
- It contained rump steak, mushrooms, peppers, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.