In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Crystal slowly made her way over to the pond and reached for a water lily just as she heard her voice being called.
- I got home mid-morning from my errands to discover that the water lily has opened its first flower.
- It's a gloriously vibrant water lily, with creamy colors and almost infinite deepness in detail and tone.
- The seal on the door was a serpent dragon lying down in a water lily.
- Visitors are especially intrigued by the large frog pond, complete with real frogs, pollywogs, bog plants, bulrushes, pickerel and water lilies, adjacent to the winery tasting room and cellars.
- Her finders idly stroked the silky petals of a water lily.
- Some plants, such as water lilies, need to be rooted in containers seated at the bottom of the pond.
- All dead and yellowing growth should be cleared from marginal plants and water lilies, and submerged aquatics that are getting out of hand should be thinned out.
- The installations were accompanied by small nature paintings, a tangled root clump in one, a water lily in another.
- Great rafts of red/green foliage support the large, sparkling blooms of the white water lily, while the yellow fringed water lily spreads its dainty but prolific leaves and flowers from bank to bank.
- I went to the fountain and saw varieties of water plants like water lilies and duckweed.
- Fill it about two-thirds with water, then add a dwarf water lily (to raise it, set its pot atop an inverted container).
- The banks are high with wild orchid, gunnera and water lily.
- Graham was dismayed to see how much the grass had grown but delighted to see the bloom on the water lily.
- Floating plants like water lilies or duckweed block sunlight, preventing algae from thriving.
- Aquatic plants also will be featured in the conservatory, Moran said, including a vibrant flowering purple tropical water lily on display during a recent tour.
- The water lily is still in its infancy, with only five leaves and two of them the minor affairs that were on it when it was planted, but even so there's enough to get an impression of what the pond will look like in the summer rain.
- Her hair was pulled into two buns at the topsides of her head and a water lily was placed in the middle of them.
- Aquatics with floating leaves, water lilies included, also need yearly attention.
- It is interesting to note, however, that one extant water lily, Barclaya rotundifolia, may have reinvaded wet, shady, disturbed forest understory habitats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.