In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cañería principal femininecañería de distribución feminine
- The water main that was laid down more than 40 years ago was placed in the street for only 100 metres, which represents only part of Robert Street.
- In addition, she said, the water main running the length of Cathcart Street was, when exposed, found to be in extremely poor condition.
- Early morning on September 18, the combination of heavy rains and, according to Pattaya City sources, a broken water main quickly flooded many areas of North Pattaya.
- About 5,435 homes are slated to receive connections to the water main.
- If the proposed building is situated near a water main or near an area of conservation, this will be pointed out to the planning applicant.
- A nearby street, Wellgate, takes its name from a Late Medieval wellhead structure which still survives on the site, and from which people in the town drew water until a water main was installed in 1903.
- While the man thought his area needed a new water main, and would gladly have given permission, no one bothered to ask him before they began digging across his backyard.
- Once the casing was exposed, we hooked onto the pipe, brought it up, and reconnected to the existing water main running from the street.
- The blast blew down a 40 ft section of the front wall in front of the three-storey building, destroyed a dozen cars in the area and broke a water main, flooding surrounding streets.
- There was a busted water main a few streets away today.
- A new water main will also be installed in London Road.
- However, Baghdad residents received a boost yesterday when water was restored to nearly half of the beleaguered capital after a week-long crisis caused by sabotage of a water main.
- Repairs to the railway bridge over the road, followed by a new water main being laid, has meant no traffic has been using the route through Dedham Road, Mill Hill and Jupes Hill for the past five months.
- Normally when a new sewer was being laid and there was a need to put in a new water main and other services they would endeavour to get capital funding for all of that.
- He included an anecdote about a water main breaking at the track and how he rushed out of his office, then paused to wonder what to do.
- Hundreds of pupils faced travel misery and homes were left without water after contractors twice severed a water main and damaged a bridge while working on the Esk Valley Line.
- The work to replace the water main is costing £800,000.
- The report also showed that the resettlement of the people was proceeding although there was a hitch at the weekend when a water main was damaged by a grader clearing the site.
- A water main had burst causing buildings to flood.
- It's loud and it's spraying and shutting off the water main hasn't stopped the loudness or the spraying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.