In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1culebra de agua feminineculebra acuática feminine
- Then, yesterday, Lakshmi told me that a brown water snake had moved into the atrium - the center of the house, where there are plants and a shallow fish pond.
- She walked along the banks of the lake, watching a water snake slither in the shallows.
- There were water snakes in the bottomland, rattlesnakes wedged between the rocks of wooden areas, and copperheads all over the place - especially in the shade under bushes and tobacco plants.
- The Lake Erie water snake is a nonvenomous snake that lives only on the islands and in the waters of the western Lake Erie basin.
- The three of us watched a long water snake glide in a broad oval around the pond.
- Croaking frogs have to be avoided and a water snake or two may obstruct your path.
- Meals consisted of crickets and mealworms for most amphibians and lizards, fish for garter snakes and water snakes, beef for turtles, and rodents for monitor lizards, alligators, larger amphibians, and other snake species.
- The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.
- Lake Tanganyika has two unique snake species confined to this part of the world, the Tanganyika water cobra and the Tanganyika water snake.
- Dozens of species are utilizing the underpasses, including bobcat, otter, alligator, Florida water snake, and the round-tailed muskrat, a rare species endemic to Florida and parts of Georgia.
- Is the fact that a swimming hole might have frogs or water snakes explained as a natural encounter with wildlife (and therefore treated respectfully)?
- In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.
- It's because of birds that I know the difference between a sugar maple and a red maple, a diamondback water snake and a cottonmouth, an American lady and a painted lady.
- A large water snake was writhing on the surface of a small pond.
- These birds of a small size actually live off water snakes, so wherever there are water snakes, you can always hear the chirping of these little birds.
- A water snake swims by, only to be grabbed by a heron's jaw.
- Based on microsatellite DNA analyses, the northern water snake also shows evidence for local population differentiation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.