In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Each of them feels that nuclear weaponry is a viable way to ensure their security.
- Nor will he explain how many youth workers could have been employed with the money poured into troops and weaponry.
- He was head-hunted by a group that was involved in arms, weaponry and strategic defence.
- It accepted dependence on the western military alliance but decided to develop its own nuclear weaponry.
- The building was left charred and smouldering, its facade riddled with holes from bullets and heavy weaponry.
- We bombed our enemies into submission with all the power and weaponry we had available.
- You could sustain a small war with the range of weaponry on sale.
- I see from the Independent that Mugabe is arming his youth militia with weaponry from China and Iran.
- The munitions include light and heavy weapons, mines and other types of weaponry.
- But it would be one step too far to expect them to give up their weaponry as this would be seen as surrender.
- And we know also that they will do whatever they can to acquire the most deadly weaponry they can.
- The population as a whole possessed a lot of weaponry, with at least two weapons in most households.
- Rarely has a war been fought on the basis of such huge differences in weaponry and fire-power.
- Once nuclear weaponry is deployed, tens of thousands of people are going to die at minimum.
- Members of the patrol would also share the task of carrying heavy anti-tank weaponry and ammunition.
- The success of the Germans has frequently been put down to their superiority in weaponry like tanks and artillery guns.
- To the detriment of his career, he became a public critic of nuclear weaponry.
- He encouraged the development of advanced weaponry such as tanks, machine guns and aircraft.
- Against this sort of attack, nuclear shields and Star Wars weaponry look as irrelevant as the Maginot Line.
- But the next development is placing weaponry in space, creating the prospect of a war in space.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.