In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(use)you should get a good ten years' wear out of that coat — ese abrigo te debería durar por lo menos diez años
- there's not much wear left in that jacket — a esa chaqueta no le queda mucha vida
- I've had a lot of wear out of these shoes — les he dado mucho trote a estos zapatos
- carpets that stand hard wear — alfombras que resisten el uso constante
- that part of the carpet gets a lot of wear — esa parte de la alfombra se pisa mucho
1.2(damage)desgaste masculineyou can see the wear on the steps — se ve el desgaste de los peldaños
- the sofa's already showing signs of wear — el sofá ya está un poco gastado
- he was showing signs of wear after his long journey — se veía cansado después del largo viaje
- wear and tear — uso / desgaste natural
- to look the worse for wear
- she looked very much the worse for wear after the sleepless night — se le notaban los efectos de la noche en vela
- the curtains/chairs are looking the worse for wear — las cortinas/sillas están viejas
- Less wear and tear on the cars means fewer new car purchases.
- As a landlord you can refuse to return their deposit if they have caused damage beyond normal wear and tear.
- Also, swap positions of the wheels with the most wear with less worn wheels.
- Most guarantees expressly exclude faults which are the result of misuse by the consumer, accidental damage or normal wear and tear.
- Although ships are meant to be thoroughly checked every two years for cracks and other signs of structural wear, the inspections often do not take place.
- It's not starting the engine that causes extra wear and tear.
- Always drive in the correct gear for your speed - it reduces wear and tear on the engine components and also provides improved fuel efficiency.
- Because car carpets are expensive, it makes sense to protect them from damage or regular wear and tear.
- Mum will tell you that it's not a cheap business paying for uniforms especially with the added wear and tear caused by skateboarding and playing footy in the schoolyard.
- It has been showing the effects of wear and tear for some time.
- Although your body can fix itself on the fly, damage accumulates if the rate of wear and tear is greater than the rate of repair.
- Doctors suspect chronic back pain is caused by a combination of normal wear and tear on the joints of the back and poor muscle control.
- Then he handed out our textbooks; I now had a math book and a history book, and the history book sustained the more wear and tear of the two.
- In osteoarthritis, the alignment of the leg changes because of wear.
- The combination of solvents and heat is hard on fabrics and may cause as much wear as actual wearing of the garment.
- This testing also provides a great opportunity to inspect your well pump for wear of its moving parts as well as the electrical system.
- For what it is worth, this pattern does show less wear in hard use.
- It is now starting to show signs of wear and tear.
- This is in order to prevent premature wear of the valve seats.
- The teeth and their pattern of wear are unlike that seen in any modern mammal so what this animal ate is something of a mystery.
2.1(wearing of clothes)clothes for evening/everyday wear — ropa para la noche/para diario / para todos los días
2.2(clothing)ropa femininechildren's/evening wear — ropa de niños/para la noche
- the correct wear for such an occasion — la vestimenta / ropa apropiada para tal ocasión
- The event will feature 50 stalls selling everything from stylish hats and designer wear to the latest kitchen implements.
- Household and electrical goods and fashion wear have been the best-selling items, he said.
- The site also features the firm's specialised fabrics such as blazer cloths along with corporate wear and men's and women's wear for the retail market.
- The shop not only sells a large selection of bridal wear, but also has bridal packages, beauty treatments and a range of other services all under one roof.
- There is a big price range for maternity wear, so you should be able to find lots of stuff you can afford.
- For those who like to shop, Hawkshead offers outdoor wear, plenty of gift shops and some very nice pubs and cafes.
- Casual wear is permitted after hours, as long as it follows the school dress code.
- There are a lot of vibrant colours in the traditional wear.
- Purchase bicycle clothing made of reflective fabrics or add reflective tape to all of your rainy-weather wear.
- People hurried back and forth, wrapped in cloaks or swirling capes behind them, in peasant wear or merchant finery.
- It offers 5,000 sq ft of quality footwear, from outdoor to special occasion wear and top brands like Ecco, Van Dal, and Clarks.
- The programme began shortly after 8pm and featured the delegates in traditional East Indian wear and evening gowns.
- This colourful handmade woollen wear come in green, red, ivory and black.
- Today, these outfits serve as stage costumes rather than street wear.
- Patagonia has turned organic cotton and fleece made of recycled plastic into high-end outdoor wear.
- And I think it's great that she is designing supercute, trendy maternity wear for your stores.
- The two brands provide a series of swimwear, gym wear, underwear and accessories which are young, sporty and sexy.
- To say that business wear has changed in the past couple of years is an understatement.
- It is a vast style improvement on beach wear and ghastly ski wear.
- His smooth chat-up technique is hampered by an appalling taste in casual wear.
1she was wearing a black dress — tenía puesto / llevaba un vestido negro
- I've got nothing to wear — no tengo qué ponerme
- what shall I wear to the party? — ¿qué me pongo para ir a la fiesta?
- she wears green a lot — tiene mucha ropa verde
- she doesn't wear skirts — no usa / no se pone faldas
- he wears size 44 shoes — calza (el) 44
- gloves aren't worn much nowadays — actualmente no se usan / no se llevan mucho los guantes
- to wear the trousers / pants — llevar los pantalones
2I'm not wearing my watch — no tengo el reloj puesto
- she was wearing a pearl necklace — tenía puesto / llevaba un collar de perlas
- why don't you wear your ring? — ¿por qué no te pones el anillo?
- what perfume are you wearing? — ¿qué perfume llevas / tienes puesto?
- she doesn't wear mascara — no usa rímmel
- he's wearing make-up — está maquillado
- she wears her hair long/short — tiene / lleva el pelo largo/corto
- he wears his hair in a pony tail — se peina con cola de caballo
- do you wear glasses? — ¿usa gafas?
- to wear a sword — llevar una espada
- to wear the crown — reinar
- he was wearing a broad smile — sonreía de oreja a oreja
- she wears her age well — se conserva muy bien
3(through use)constant use had worn the soles very thin — las suelas habían quedado muy delgadas con el uso constante
- he had worn the collar threadbare — había gastado el cuello hasta dejarlo raído de tanto uso
- the step had been worn smooth — el peldaño se había alisado con el uso
- she's worn holes in the soles — les ha hecho agujeros a las suelas
- they had worn a path through the hills — sus pisadas habían marcado un sendero a través de las colinas
4Britishinformal(tolerate)consentirthe tenants wouldn't wear it — los inquilinos no lo consintieron
1(through use)(brakes/carpet/tire/collar) gastarseto wear smooth — alisarse
- to wear thin — perder la gracia
- the elbows had worn very thin — los codos estaban muy gastados
- that excuse is wearing very thin — esa excusa ya está muy trillada / ya no convence a nadie
- her patience began to wear thin — se le empezó a acabar la paciencia
2(last)durarthese tiles will wear for years — estas baldosas durarán años
- to wear well — durar mucho
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.