In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hombre del tiempo masculine
- Tonight all the radio weathermen warned of rain, so I took him out right after supper.
- The major wants to fine the city-funded weathermen when their forecasts turn out to be wrong.
- The weatherman has predicted mild conditions for today, and sunny weather later this weekend and on Monday.
- It was clear, despite the weatherman's forecast for snow that night.
- Just keep the drinks coming and leave the forecasts to the weatherman.
- Don't put away the wellies and the woollies - the weatherman is predicting cold and wet conditions for the Eastern Cape today.
- A menacingly black sky loomed upon the horizon - the weatherman had forecast a storm.
- The meteorological office and weathermen may or may not agree, but summers have become warmer over the past three to four decades.
- The weathermen are predicting a break in the weather after tomorrow.
- Manchester suffered the wettest August for almost 50 years - but weathermen say conditions will improve in September.
- Early last week the weatherman was warning us of very cold weather to come.
- Baffling the meteorologists and weathermen and upsetting the rhythm of life of millions, the Monsoon failed last year despite the predictions of good rain.
- The big freeze will finally come to an end this weekend as warmer weather sweeps the country, weathermen said last night.
- Gales were forecast for tonight but he never believed the weathermen.
- The heatwave is expected to continue into the week, according to weathermen, although the hot weather will be concentrated in the South of England while it will be fresher in the North.
- With weathermen forecasting a mix of sun and showers this weekend, he says it will be difficult to predict where the black spots will be.
- Maximum temperatures today were due to reach seven degrees Celsius and weathermen forecast bright spells for tomorrow.
- The sun is beating down, but where are the local television reporters frying eggs on the pavement, announcing that ‘the weathermen say there's more good weather to come’.
- But the region's weathermen say predictions of impending blizzard conditions are wide of the mark.
- She unloaded the groceries while telling us what the radio weatherman had said about the storm.
- The weatherman is forecasting top temperatures of 25°C this weekend.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.