In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ceremony)boda femininecasamiento masculinematrimonio masculine South America River Plateto have a church wedding — casarse por la iglesia
- to have a civil / (British) registry-office wedding — casarse por lo civil
- I can hear wedding bells ringing — me huele a boda (or a casamiento etc.) / a casorio
- on their wedding day — el día de su boda (or casamiento etc.)
- The hotel was very popular for weddings from all over Galway and further afield.
- We officiate at weddings, we help bury the dead, we counsel families with problems and we visit the sick.
- Normal lives are a patchwork of work, leisure, holidays, weddings, and other life events.
- There are two big celebrity weddings looming - and both of them on the same day.
- The number of overseas weddings has increased by 55 per cent in the last five years.
- The hall is hired out for conferences, weddings and parties, and can hold up to 400 people.
- We went to a few weddings around that time, and no-one ever mentioned that it might not last.
- These outfits are worn only for special occasions such as weddings and festivals.
- There is even a private room for small parties, conferences or weddings.
- But more than all that, weddings are symbolic of new beginnings and a bright future.
- Smaller weddings are becoming more and more popular with couples who are having much more of a say in how they want the day to go.
- The trend for extravagant weddings is expected to continue in the years to come.
- Well, I've got two weddings to go to this May, so I think I'm going to need a new suit!
- So, celebrities spend a lot of money on their weddings, perhaps, but does this mean that we have to?
- It is consumed almost exclusively by men in the evening or at celebrations such as weddings.
- Dance is an essential part of many celebrations such as weddings and coronations.
- Canada would join Belgium and the Netherlands as the only countries allowing gay and lesbian weddings.
- Parish councillors have now agreed to form a group to look at the pros and cons of letting the chapel be used for weddings.
- Even with weddings, friends have told me that loads of people don't reply, and they have to chase them.
- Since the contest she has sung at various weddings and continues to get requests to perform.
2(anniversary)silver/golden wedding — bodas de plata/oro feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.