In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alianza feminineanillo de boda masculineargolla (de matrimonio) feminine Chile
- If the bride or groom reacts to the metals found in certain types of jewelry, a platinum wedding ring is the way to go.
- A tungsten wedding band is a good choice for a wedding ring because of its durability and quality.
- Her wedding ring and plain gold earrings are her only jewellery, plus a few red beads and tight bangles on one wrist.
- Many women also wear their gold wedding ring with a diamond engagement ring and an eternity ring.
- A quantity of cash was stolen as well as various items of jewellery, which included a necklace with a wedding ring hung on it.
- She pointed to my wedding ring and said that she had not noticed it before.
- He was so upset that he took off his wedding ring, and threw it out of the window.
- She'd become so thin that her wedding ring was loose, able to wobble up and down between her knuckles.
- In that raid John had taken jewellery, a wedding ring, a computer and other items worth a total of £3,700.
- The groom puts a wedding ring on the ring finger of the bride's left hand, and the bride may also give the groom a ring.
- My original wedding ring was lost, and I have struggled with how or whether to replace it ever since.
- On one occasion all her jewellery was taken except for her wedding ring.
- More recently, she was pictured arriving in Los Angeles - and she wasn't wearing her wedding ring.
- She was barefoot and wore what seemed to be a wedding ring.
- When he asked for help in choosing a wedding ring for Valerie, she said yes.
- She puts the lipstick away in her handbag, sits back and looks out to the ocean, then twists her wedding ring around her finger.
- They grabbed her left wrist and tried to pull off a gold bracelet and remove her wedding ring.
- Absentmindedly, Clara takes off her wedding ring and plays with it, spinning it around.
- She wore a sapphire engagement ring and a broad-band wedding ring and she looked more than capable of managing a business life and a tribe of kids.
- And I noticed he had a wedding ring on and she did not, and there were sparks between them.
- The gold wedding ring on his finger flashed in the sunlight.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.