In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘Well, some thought he was a bit of a weed, but he doesn't come around anymore,’ he quipped.
- ‘I have always been a bit of a weed, to be honest, and I am always being told to try weight training and go to a gym,’ he said.
1.1(wild plant)hierbajo masculinemala hierba feminineyuyo masculine River Platemaleza feminine Latin Americahe's shot up like a weed — ha pegado un estirón
- It doesn't look at if it's been used for some time, as a small jungle of bushes, nettles and weeds have grown up around it.
- The lawn was well-kept, but still a bit wild, with weeds and poorly pruned brushes lining the walkway up the hill.
- There are several small varieties that grow wild as weeds in North America.
- A site that will not grow other plants and weeds or has some type of soil problem will probably not be ideal for wildflowers.
- He says that the group had been working hard to improve the area around the sawmill dam by tackling the jungle of weeds, brambles and nettles that had grown up through years of neglect.
- Just like our garden plants, weeds have certain preferences for growing conditions.
- Clear all the weeds and grass from the area you intend to cover to prevent them from growing up through the mulch.
- The best time to eliminate weeds and grass is the season before you plan to plant your garden.
- Mike already has a layer of wood chip mulch in place around his plants to keep down weeds and conserve moisture.
- Spread wheat straw mulch over your garden in February to keep weeds at bay.
- But Mr Merritt said horsetail could be a troublesome weed in any crop.
- Write down which plants were infected with diseases and where the weeds grew most.
- Honeysuckle will quickly cover everything in its path, choking out weeds as it grows.
- This will help prevent weeds from growing, and additionally will feed your soil slowly over time.
- Typically, herbicides are applied only to the strip of ground directly under the vine, and weeds growing between the rows are controlled by cultivation or mowing.
- They hide during the day under mulch, plant debris, rocks, boards, weeds, and ground covers.
- Given the right conditions many will grow like weeds, seeding freely around.
- The courtyard is cluttered with potted plants, half of them dead or dying, with weeds growing around the pots and covering most of the small yard.
- Nests are open cups made of weeds, grass, plant fibers, and moss, with a lining of fur and feathers.
- Raised on a farm in the eastern part of North Carolina, Jo grew up pulling weeds in her mother's cutting garden.
- By now summer is under way, the weed is growing and all species of fish are feeding well.
- The weed impedes water's natural flow and can destroy native communities of aquatic plants and animals.
- There's plenty of weed growing around them, and although not particularly pleasant to look at, among its folds you will see plenty of hovering juvenile pike.
- This weed can grow in ten to fifteen feet of water or more from top to bottom and seems to be impossible to fish in.
- But, no, they just sat deep in the bottom, sheltering under the great mass of oxygenating weed that's grown from three strands in less than a year, and gulped.
- I woke to find Graham out in the garden carrying out some much needed maintenance on the fish pond, topping it up with fresh water and pulling out some weed.
- Move over hydrilla, there's a bigger, meaner invasive aquatic weed in town.
- The west bank is more sandy and shallow with weed growing, and the opposite bank more rocky and deeper.
- At the moment there is deeper water and reasonable floating weed cover in one area, so the Jacanas have not left.
- Aquatic weeds have also grown to epidemic proportions.
- It has been listed as one of the 100 worst invasive alien species in the world, and it is considered the second most serious weed in the South Pacific.
- From a distance, this appears to be the mottled brown of old brick, but as I get closer I see that there is a coating of fine brown weed.
- If more effort were put into ensuring rivers and watercourses were properly dredged and cleared of weed and vegetation, it might have helped to contain the water, he said.
2.1(slang) (marijuana)hierba feminine slangmonte masculine Central America Venezuela Colombia informal
- It went on like that for a few months until it got to the point where we were truanting from school every day and smoking weed.
- I had no trouble stopping taking weed and after one farewell joint, gave up.
- He never touched weed, cocaine or anything else.
- For one, the average youth doesn't see smoking weed as a ‘rebellion’ against society any more.
- You may have heard it called marijuana, weed or hash but it is still cannabis, a natural drug that comes from a plant.
- But at the point where most of my friends went from weed or hash to LSD or ecstasy, I stopped smoking.
- On Villa Road there are kids selling crack, weed and cocaine.
- Had he not supplied weed, none of us would ever have spoken to him.
- Still who needs weed when you've got coffee and nicotine?
- It was very refreshing to walk into coffee shops, buy some weed, borrow their bong and sit down and have a nice smoke.
- 99% of the people I know have tried or smoke weed and not one is an addict on any other drug.
- She is in her sixties, and without smoking weed, she has difficulty moving.
- Last night, I also smoked weed for the first time in a year.
- The chap sat next to us had black glasses on and was smoking weed.
- I stopped smoking weed after that for a couple of months and started to get drunk again.
- The way I see it is this: lots of people say that smoking weed, or whatever you want to call it, leads to stronger drugs.
- I know absolutely no heroin addicts and I know plenty of people who smoke weed.
- By no means am I condoning the use of any drug; I'm just trying to get you to realise that there are far worse things than smoking a bit of weed.
- All the research means very little when a large proportion of the population have decided that they like to smoke a bit of weed.
- I suppose when you're out of your mind on cheap cider, homegrown weed and crack cocaine you might enjoy muck like that.
2.2(tobacco)the weed — el cigarrillo
- But the first time these two came into contact with each other, they had to share the spotlight with, yes, the weed, tobacco.
- Do addicts of the demon weed, tobacco, experience increased pleasure from life as a result of smoking tobacco?
3Britishinformal(feeble person)alfeñique masculine
4Archaic(clothes)ropa de luto feminine
1(flowerbed/garden) deshierbar(garden/flowerbed) desherbar(garden/flowerbed) desmalezar Latin America(garden/flowerbed) sacar los yuyos de River Plate
1deshierbardesherbardesmalezar Latin Americasacar los yuyos River Plate
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.