In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(wild plant)hierbajo masculinemala hierba feminineyuyo masculine River Platemaleza feminine Latin Americahe's shot up like a weed — ha pegado un estirón
- The lawn was well-kept, but still a bit wild, with weeds and poorly pruned brushes lining the walkway up the hill.
- Mike already has a layer of wood chip mulch in place around his plants to keep down weeds and conserve moisture.
- Spread wheat straw mulch over your garden in February to keep weeds at bay.
- This will help prevent weeds from growing, and additionally will feed your soil slowly over time.
- There are several small varieties that grow wild as weeds in North America.
- Given the right conditions many will grow like weeds, seeding freely around.
- Write down which plants were infected with diseases and where the weeds grew most.
- The best time to eliminate weeds and grass is the season before you plan to plant your garden.
- Clear all the weeds and grass from the area you intend to cover to prevent them from growing up through the mulch.
- But Mr Merritt said horsetail could be a troublesome weed in any crop.
- He says that the group had been working hard to improve the area around the sawmill dam by tackling the jungle of weeds, brambles and nettles that had grown up through years of neglect.
- Nests are open cups made of weeds, grass, plant fibers, and moss, with a lining of fur and feathers.
- The courtyard is cluttered with potted plants, half of them dead or dying, with weeds growing around the pots and covering most of the small yard.
- Honeysuckle will quickly cover everything in its path, choking out weeds as it grows.
- Raised on a farm in the eastern part of North Carolina, Jo grew up pulling weeds in her mother's cutting garden.
- They hide during the day under mulch, plant debris, rocks, boards, weeds, and ground covers.
- A site that will not grow other plants and weeds or has some type of soil problem will probably not be ideal for wildflowers.
- Typically, herbicides are applied only to the strip of ground directly under the vine, and weeds growing between the rows are controlled by cultivation or mowing.
- It doesn't look at if it's been used for some time, as a small jungle of bushes, nettles and weeds have grown up around it.
- Just like our garden plants, weeds have certain preferences for growing conditions.
1.2(aquatic growth)algas feminine
- But, no, they just sat deep in the bottom, sheltering under the great mass of oxygenating weed that's grown from three strands in less than a year, and gulped.
- The weed impedes water's natural flow and can destroy native communities of aquatic plants and animals.
- By now summer is under way, the weed is growing and all species of fish are feeding well.
- This weed can grow in ten to fifteen feet of water or more from top to bottom and seems to be impossible to fish in.
- It has been listed as one of the 100 worst invasive alien species in the world, and it is considered the second most serious weed in the South Pacific.
- Aquatic weeds have also grown to epidemic proportions.
- From a distance, this appears to be the mottled brown of old brick, but as I get closer I see that there is a coating of fine brown weed.
- The west bank is more sandy and shallow with weed growing, and the opposite bank more rocky and deeper.
- Move over hydrilla, there's a bigger, meaner invasive aquatic weed in town.
- I woke to find Graham out in the garden carrying out some much needed maintenance on the fish pond, topping it up with fresh water and pulling out some weed.
- If more effort were put into ensuring rivers and watercourses were properly dredged and cleared of weed and vegetation, it might have helped to contain the water, he said.
- There's plenty of weed growing around them, and although not particularly pleasant to look at, among its folds you will see plenty of hovering juvenile pike.
- At the moment there is deeper water and reasonable floating weed cover in one area, so the Jacanas have not left.
2.1slang (marijuana)hierba feminine slangmonte masculine Colombia Central America Venezuela informal
- The chap sat next to us had black glasses on and was smoking weed.
- Had he not supplied weed, none of us would ever have spoken to him.
- Still who needs weed when you've got coffee and nicotine?
- For one, the average youth doesn't see smoking weed as a ‘rebellion’ against society any more.
- I know absolutely no heroin addicts and I know plenty of people who smoke weed.
- It went on like that for a few months until it got to the point where we were truanting from school every day and smoking weed.
- She is in her sixties, and without smoking weed, she has difficulty moving.
- But at the point where most of my friends went from weed or hash to LSD or ecstasy, I stopped smoking.
- 99% of the people I know have tried or smoke weed and not one is an addict on any other drug.
- I suppose when you're out of your mind on cheap cider, homegrown weed and crack cocaine you might enjoy muck like that.
- I had no trouble stopping taking weed and after one farewell joint, gave up.
- All the research means very little when a large proportion of the population have decided that they like to smoke a bit of weed.
- I stopped smoking weed after that for a couple of months and started to get drunk again.
- The way I see it is this: lots of people say that smoking weed, or whatever you want to call it, leads to stronger drugs.
- He never touched weed, cocaine or anything else.
- Last night, I also smoked weed for the first time in a year.
- You may have heard it called marijuana, weed or hash but it is still cannabis, a natural drug that comes from a plant.
- It was very refreshing to walk into coffee shops, buy some weed, borrow their bong and sit down and have a nice smoke.
- By no means am I condoning the use of any drug; I'm just trying to get you to realise that there are far worse things than smoking a bit of weed.
- On Villa Road there are kids selling crack, weed and cocaine.
2.2slang dated (tobacco)the weed — el cigarrillo
- But the first time these two came into contact with each other, they had to share the spotlight with, yes, the weed, tobacco.
- Do addicts of the demon weed, tobacco, experience increased pleasure from life as a result of smoking tobacco?
3British informal(feeble person)alfeñique masculine
- ‘Well, some thought he was a bit of a weed, but he doesn't come around anymore,’ he quipped.
- ‘I have always been a bit of a weed, to be honest, and I am always being told to try weight training and go to a gym,’ he said.
archaic(clothes)feminine ropa de luto
1(garden/flowerbed) deshierbar(flowerbed/garden) desherbar(garden/flowerbed) desmalezar Latin America(flowerbed/garden) sacar los yuyos de River Plate
- They were also asking businesses, shops, etc to weed the area outside their premises every morning.
- After planting, each plot was weeded periodically.
- I weeded the garden and picked produce for Jan to take to the Saturday market when she returned.
- She would be out milking the cows, nipping the turnips, weeding the carrots.
- There would be no cane planted, weeded, cut, or ground without some form of compliance from the workers themselves.
- She weeded fastidiously, removing the plants and roots before they came to maturity, and preparing compost from them.
- Maureen planted many colourful plants, weeded, clipped and pruned the area so that it was a delight to the eye at Easter.
- The girls have weeded a neighbor's yard, done some dog sitting and worked at extra chores around the house.
- The students were involved in weeding a section of the land, before replanting natural plants and trees.
- Fields are generally tiny, and you sometimes see a man ploughing one with a tractor, or a woman weeding one with a mattock.
- Then today I was weeding the bed in front of my house and lifted a mop of variegated grass to see a toad looking at me from a hollow he'd made in the shade of my porch.
- Any time spent weeding this month will save twice as much time later in the season.
- As we weeded the lettuce patch one day recently, you took satisfaction in likening us to a pair of police getting rid of bad guys.
- I'd worked through worse weather weeding the fields and it wasn't that cold.
- Women and children plant, weed, and harvest most food crops.
- Once an area is weeded, a deep mulch will go some way towards stopping weeds from reappearing.
- For best crops, weed and water regularly and consistently.
- She weeded my front garden and helped me put up the rotary washing line in the back garden.
- Weeding the entire garden would take a single person hours, if not days.
- The group cleared and cleaned the pond, weeded the area, pruned the shrubs, fertilised the soil and planted out bedding plants.
1deshierbardesherbardesmalezar Latin Americasacar los yuyos River Plate
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.