In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Its bosses say they are looking to reduce sugar and fat for the health and welfare of us all.
- Tributes are being paid to a North Yorkshire woman who was devoted to the protection and welfare of cats.
- We have been let down by people who should have been looking after Laura's health and welfare and we are all devastated.
- He was found guilty of failing to ensure the health, safety and welfare of his employees.
- All or most states already have laws to protect the health and welfare of animals.
- It's total disregard for the financial and emotional welfare of everyone involved.
- They should not only care for the welfare of the children, but should also have financial knowledge.
- Provision for the pupils' care, health, safety and welfare is very good.
- Our paramount concerns are for his and other patient's welfare and safety.
- The confidentiality was agreed to protect the interests and welfare of the student.
- If you are interested in animal welfare there are two young dogs urgently in need of homes.
- There's an interesting conference about animal welfare going on somewhere at the moment.
- This type of cost cutting threatens the health and welfare of local residents.
- Their help and support over the past few months have made an immense difference to the welfare and happiness of our family.
- After a month or so a programme of home visits begins, and enquiries are made about the health and general welfare of each family.
- The agency said the decision was taken to ensure the children's safety and welfare.
- It is your programme in writing for managing health, safety and welfare within your business.
- He said that the health, safety and welfare of officers was always of concern.
- He has not been heard from since, and there are grave concerns for his safety and welfare.
- However, housing some birds would not be in their interest where health and welfare is concerned.
- He had no thought but for me, my welfare, my comfort, my safety, my happiness.
- We need to ensure that no one has to put the health and welfare of his or her family at risk in order to keep a job.
2.1(assistance)asistencia social feminine(program) de asistencia socialwelfare organization — organización de asistencia social feminine
- First, cuts in welfare and other social programs have reduced government health insurance.
- We must look behind these numbers to see if how families fare after leaving welfare.
- Dependency on welfare was growing and approaching the peak it would reach in 1995.
- The implications for long-term funding of welfare and pensions is profound.
- The workers are demanding an expansion and prompt payment of welfare benefits to the unemployed.
- The Government wants to keep putting up taxes in order to support its welfare expenditure.
- America, rightly or wrongly, spends a great deal on welfare.
- Welfare benefits are being reduced and new provisions introduced to restrict access to welfare.
- We know that real jobs are a better guarantee of prosperity for the unemployed than welfare.
- A decade ago, some Chumash still relied on welfare and donated clothing.
- What got me back was that I was on food stamps and welfare and I had a family to support.
2.2US (payment)prestaciones sociales feminineto be on welfare — recibir prestaciones de la seguridad social
En EEUU el término "welfare" y "welfare programs" se usa para referirse a las distintas formas de ayuda gubernamental a disposición de los pobres, los enfermos, los desempleados y otras personas desfavorecidas. Los programas incluyen Medicare y Medicaid y Food Stamps.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.