In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A requirement that the defendant's belief be well-founded is ambiguous.
- And so he realized their skepticism was only natural, their suspicions well-founded.
- Dubai's modern reputation as a city in which to shop in has a well-founded base since the early days of trade.
- If it is a well-founded objection, then that will bring the proceedings to an end immediately.
- There are very real and probably well-founded reasons for not being so easily moved.
- Each found the other's intelligence and well-founded opinions refreshing and they began to talk.
- In the end, his fears proved well-founded, although trouble would next emerge from a different quarter.
- Visits to public places revealed that grievances of the physically disabled people are legitimate and well-founded.
- I am only saying that the society where they live is pervaded by a deep sense of mutual distrust and suspicion, which are well-founded.
- What do you mean by a well-founded suspicion if you do not simply mean a reasonable suspicion?
- Either the judge read this carefully and thinks the order is well-founded, in which case he isn't a very smart judge.
- The doctor in charge of the case duly informed the social worker and the police of her well-founded suspicions.
- I have no doubt that the Chief Constable's opinion is well-founded.
- Accordingly, it does not yield knowledge, if knowledge involves understanding and not just well-founded conviction.
- But that would only reinforce well-founded opinions that I long ago used up any ideas of my own.
- There is plenty of evidence that such suspicions are at least partially well-founded.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.