In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(performances/teams) del mismo nivel(teams/performances) muy parejoDonna and Joe are well matched — Donna y Joe hacen buena pareja
- The game depends on having well-matched players on either side of the net, so that what's predicted theoretically can be checked experimentally.
- Their tender flesh was contrasted with the punchy crushed-peppercorn crust and well-matched with a light citrus sauce and the exquisitely sliced and grilled zucchini.
- The sides were well-matched but much under strength.
- Santi and Itti are a pair of compelling, well matched leads with surprising twists and turns to their characters.
- It's not that the pair don't look happy and well-matched: they do.
- It was a really hard fought affair between two well-matched sides.
- You could travel very widely and not find a pair of soloists as well-matched in the Brahms Double Concerto as the Johnston brothers.
- In a game where two well-matched teams cancelled each other out, both defences were able to snuff out the few genuine attacks made by either side.
- A well-matched pair of smart, stylish secret agents do battle against a never-ending array of fiendish felons and assorted evil-doers in ‘The Avengers’, the original British television series.
- She's well-matched by Vivaldi, a composer and virtuoso who was once rock-star popular as a composer but is steadily fading from high-society fashion and struggling to raise commissions.
- But Quick and Dennison are a spirited, well-matched duo, and their zeal is infectious.
- Following on the one-sided debacle that preceded it, this game between two well-matched sides provided some real entertainment for the small crowd.
- ‘We feel that they are not going to abuse their distribution power and that we are well-matched with them in the marketplace,’ says News Corp.
- It's a shame that a match between two well matched sides like this has been ruined.
- Playful bickering aside, the pair are well-matched, both in person and on-screen, where their undeniable chemistry deserves a lot of the credit for ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding's’ success.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.