In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(money) bien gastado(time) bien aprovechado
- He said an £8 million three-year award from the Children's Fund in 2002 was being well-spent - but the effects would only be obvious in the longer term.
- There have been questions of leadership, policy and campaign direction, raising the issue of whether or not our money was well-spent.
- We feel confident the money will be well-spent.
- One of the dictums of modern medicine is that money spent on healthcare is money well-spent, because it is always cheaper to prevent an illness than cure it.
- The question is this, perhaps: whether a life spent working for this idea of ‘peace’, always aware that such a goal may never be reached, in one's own lifetime or beyond, is a life well-spent.
- For the children, this was one vacation truly well-spent.
- The time and money spent purchasing and reading these books was well-spent and invaluable preparation for my colleagues and I.
- So don't think your tax dollars aren't being well-spent.
- And if it keeps one person out of hospital, surely it's money well-spent.
- So if it takes a little ‘panache’ to get back in her good graces, it's money well-spent.
- It is therefore absolutely one of the obligations of members of Parliament to make sure that every single cent of that money is well-spent, and that the people who must contribute do contribute.
- Of course, only one of them worked, but it got used as a map light for awhile, so I gloated about how it was a dollar well-spent.
- Without them, we have absolutely no idea whether the money is well-spent or not.
- Because the need is so great, it's more important than ever to make sure your money is well-spent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.