In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1she received lots of cards from well-wishers — recibió muchas tarjetas en que le deseaban una pronta recuperación (or mucha felicidad etc.)
- There was no pomp and show to mark the occasion, only the greetings and compliments of his well-wishers.
- Many kept awake to be the first to convey New Year greetings to their friends, relatives, and well-wishers.
- We join with his many well-wishers in wishing him many returns of the day.
- He frequently is greeted by skiing friends and well-wishers as they pass him on the trail.
- Parents and well-wishers came together to celebrate the birthday of a woman who has bought smiles and happiness into dozens of young lives.
- I have failed to trace my friends and well-wishers with whose efforts and generosity, I am alive.
- It is this peace that should spur donors, investors and well-wishers to pool their resources and invest in the country.
- Already, the book was filled with signatures and brief words of condolence from friends and well-wishers.
- The gym became silent as a group of army colleagues, friends, family and well-wishers cheered Neil on.
- Her mum said the family were grateful for the amount of concern and support shown by well-wishers.
- Most of the money raised so far has been donated by friends and well-wishers but several events have now been organised to boost funds even more.
- The happy couple received the traditional pouring of holy water by family, friends and many well-wishers.
- They made frantic calls to friends, well-wishers and relatives at home to rush much-needed funds.
- A number of relatives, friends and well-wishers have deeply mourned her demise.
- He added that he would mobilise all former players, fans and well-wishers to support the noble cause.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.