In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The lurid technicolour of bruises, angry wounds, and welts marred his skin.
- Her face was bruised, and crimson welts marred her bare arms.
- There were great welts, scars that ran in ridges across his muscular shoulders.
- Returning to earth, the ball banged off the shin of a spectator, raising a nasty welt.
- Even without sharp edges, it was sufficient to raise an enormous welt and painful enough for the man to stop.
- When they arrived, the soldiers began disarming the guards and giving aid to the prisoners, whose backs, arms and legs were marked with welts and bruises.
- He soon regretted that thought, however, as he saw the welts and scars covering her torso.
- I could still see the red and purple bruised welts in my head… the same mark that I could see rather clearly on Leif's inner arm.
- Daniel grabbed her hand and pulled up her shirt sleeve to revel thick welts, scabs and scars all over her arm.
- He showed me the fresh welts and bruises below his waist.
- She rubbed, absent-mindedly at the welt of a scar on her thigh, covered and concealed by tights and a dress.
- She tugged her shirt down, as if to cover the welts then reached to pull the sports page from beneath her transistor radio.
- The plastic tie wraps the police had used on her wrists left welts and bruises.
- Tomaz's back and arms became covered in welts and bruises.
- The use of a strap, cane, electrical cord or other implement can result in multiple bruises, welts and abrasions on the skin.
- Moreover, he had himself been battered as a child; and shows Dana the welts and scars that resulted from beatings by his father.
2.1(on shoe)vira feminine
- Make sure your boot has enough welt to hold in the binding, just as you would for a step-in crampon.
- The once sealed welts have cracks, and as for the ‘uppers’, well, enough of this nonsense…
- There was the outline, and around this outline ran a well-defined sewn thread which had, it appeared, attached the welt to the sole.
- The big change is a frame designed along an asymmetrical last to more closely fit the anatomical sole of a boot and lock more tightly into the boot welts.
2.2(border, seam)ribete masculinevivo masculine
- The matching linen flat-front pants are slightly low-waisted and feature two off-seam pockets, as well as pocket welts.
- It has a three-button continental placket with polished agate buttons, a knit collar welt, sleeve bands, and a hemmed bottom with side vents.
- Pleats, piping, pocket welts, pocket flaps, top-stitched yokes all look wonderful in linen.
- Elegant embellishments such as freeform beading, tiered tassels, piping insertions filled with fine rattail cord and pockets tailored with contrast welts are among his trademarks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.