In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wind) del oeste
- There will be westerly gale force winds and a top temperature of 7c.
- Our prevailing winds are westerly, coming in from the Atlantic.
- A light westerly wind blew, gentle as the day, and whipped up the dusts moving them to scattered graves and other surrounding parts of the city.
- If, for instance, the pressure is low towards Iceland and Greenland and high down by the Azores and Portugal, then most of northern Europe can expect strong westerly winds.
- Specifically, westerly winds blow stronger, but changes in wind speed and direction occur all over the planet.
- When the high pressure systems move north during winter, southern Australia comes under the influence of westerly winds and rain-bearing cold fronts.
- In spring, the westerly winds blow across the frozen lake and become cooler.
- The deep low pressure system then rolled southeast, and the fierce westerly gales on its northern flank inflicted widespread damage in southern and southeastern Australia over the next three days.
- This generated frequent heavy rains and fierce westerly gales: in some coastal areas there was significant wind damage as well as flooding.
- Because of the westerly winds it just blows back in again, just like all the muck and dust from the building site next door.
- Many hurricanes eventually drift far enough north or south to move into areas dominated by westerly winds (found in the middle latitudes).
- During more intense El Niño episodes, westerly winds are observed over parts of the equatorial western and central Pacific.
- Heavy swells and strong westerly winds made for tough rowing conditions and the organisers were taking no chances with the safety of competitors.
- There was a strong westerly wind blowing that day, around 20-25 knots but the object didn't appear to be drifting.
- Conditions on the day were trying; with strong westerly winds affecting timings but all the runners were happy with their individual times.
1viento del oeste masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.