In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are really being led along by the reader, their inventor, who is never sure whether he will come up with a wheelbarrow or a chariot, the choice of which he wrongly thinks belongs to the author.
- Concrete is most easily handled from a wheelbarrow - not the gardener's kind, but the kind used on construction sites, with a deep carrying base and nearly vertical sides.
- Our exercise machines are post-hole diggers, shovels, rakes, push mowers, and wheelbarrows.
- To allow room for a wheelbarrow or garden cart, plan on 2-to 3-foot-wide walkways.
- Choose a site that's level and shady, has good drainage and allows easy access to wheelbarrows, garden paths and hose hookups.
- Many people had loaded their possessions on to horse-drawn carts; others pushed wheelbarrows or even prams.
- The concrete may be mixed in a wheelbarrow with a garden hoe.
- It is common practice to find wheelbarrows loaded with full crates of beer being trundled over the highway at this point.
- When it's time to use it, set the sifter on top of your wheelbarrow or garden cart and shovel some compost into it.
- I put the rake in the shed, emptied the sawdust in the brush in back of the house, and parked the wheelbarrow in front of the steps.
- Splitting into a wheelbarrow or trailer parked alongside the splitter speeds up the job and reduces operator fatigue, allowing one to work for longer periods of time.
- Draping them over the handle of her wheelbarrow or on the fence rail keeps the gloves open so air will dry the moisture trapped inside.
- Every few minutes, she bends to retrieve shards of dirt-smeared glass and broken bricks and tiles which she tosses into a wheelbarrow to be carted away.
- So I parked the wheelbarrow in front of a stall where I could still see the front of the barn and started mucking.
- The boxes were heavy, and the mansion so huge that I wished for a cart or a wheelbarrow.
- Old gardening boots, wheelbarrows, and toolboxes can make whimsical substitutes for expensive outdoor containers.
- Silinga said he thought the robbers used the wheelbarrow to carry off their loot as its tracks seemed headed in the direction of nearby Ntshabeni.
- She gathered two stacks of hay into a wheelbarrow and pushed the barrow to the stall that was vacant.
- His sister carried him in a wheelbarrow to seek medical help - there is no ambulance service here.
- I used hot glue to attach the cutting board to the front edge of the wheelbarrow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.