In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1caballito masculine informalto do a wheelie — hacer un caballito informal
- The trick involves doing a wheelie, in which you swing the front wheels from side to side.
- He had scruffy ginger-colored hair, at least one of his knees or elbows was scraped at pretty much any given time, and he'd once popped a wheelie on his bicycle while Bridget watched.
- It wasn't one of the contenders, but there was lot of footage of them doing wheelies on the thing.
- Two boys suddenly exploded into the square on their bikes, performed some elaborate wheelies and were gone.
- For some reason he doesn't like burnouts, wheelies and handbrake slides into our street.
- And all the memories of a misspent youth will come tumbling back at you - the tricycle bandit, the wheelies on the bike, the laps in the car around Courtenay Place.
- But witnesses soon came forward who claimed to have seen Kent fall off his motorcycle while popping wheelies on the day in question.
- However, you'll still be able to perform donuts, wheelies, or other motorcycle tricks on bikes.
- The team consists of six daring riders who perform a whole range of stunts from high jumps to wheelies on motorcycles, quad bikes and three-wheelers.
- The type of person who goes out and speeds and pulls wheelies isn't going to listen to nagging.
- From within the shroud of smoke a vehicle emerged, popping a large wheelie before falling back onto its front wheel and zooming away.
- Meanwhile, Daniel Larkin from Nagle Community College, Blackrock, Cork, has created a mathematical formula to do the perfect wheelie on a motorbike or bicycle.
- The best way to do this is to ride straight up the ramp, lift your front trucks right before they hit the coping, ride a wheelie until your back trucks hit the coping.
- On Sunday night last, locals in the village were disgusted to find that boyracers had once again left their mark on the village green areas doing their wheelie, u-turns and digging up the soft ground.
- Most riders cannot pedal effectively while doing a front wheelie.
- Tomorrow will be even worse, but you can always count on the Aussie Champion to put on a show: on uphill finishes, he never fails to ride a wheelie across the finish line.
- Drag races are a regular event on the stretch and motorcycle riders pulling wheelies and other stunts are a common sight in the late hours.
- At 55 mph the front lifts off the ground as the table planes into a wheelie.
- Mr Howard departs in the Jag, the square empties and young people he might call ‘yobs’ resume their evening perches, mooching about noisily and doing wheelies on their bikes.
- Sexton had been crutching the car by raising the wheelie bars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.