In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in questions, indirect questions)cuándowhen did you arrive? — ¿cuándo llegaste?
- when was it that you spoke to her? — ¿cuándo fue que hablaste con ella?
- I asked him when the next train was — le pregunté cuándo salía el próximo tren
- she knows when to keep quiet — sabe cuándo es mejor quedarse callada
- that was when I realized that … — fue entonces cuando me di cuenta de que …
2(as relative)the year when we got married — el año en que nos casamos
- a date when everyone can come — una fecha en que todos puedan venir
- in December, when we were on holiday — en diciembre, cuando estábamos de vacaciones
1.1(temporal sense)cuandoI asked him when I saw him — se lo pregunté cuando lo vi
- I'll ask him when I see him — se lo preguntaré cuando lo vea
- the flesh is pink when cooked — la carne es rosada cuando está cocida
- when finished, it will be used to … — una vez terminado / cuando esté terminado se usará para …
- give me a shout when you're ready — pégame un grito cuando estés listo
- when it rains, I take the bus — cuando llueve, tomo el autobús
- reduce speed when approaching a junction — reduzca la velocidad al acercarse a un cruce
- I'd scarcely sat down when the phone rang — apenas me había sentado cuando sonó el teléfono
- His father took him to Tynecastle when he was five, to see a Hearts and Hibs game.
- His dad left when he was very young, although he patched things up before he died.
- One survivor said a meeting was being held in an upstairs room when the blast occurred.
- Although for a couple of years when I was a child my whole family decided not to eat meat.
- They shared a room when they were on tour and off the field they were big buddies.
- Theatre is her first love and when she is not performing she can invariably be found among the audience.
- All too often as adults, we cease to give it any attention or value, except at night when we sleep and we dream.
- He was looking out the front door yesterday when I had it open to feed the hens.
- He urged people to keep mobile phones out of sight when not in use, and to use them to make essential calls only.
- He told police that he used it because it helped him sleep when he was coming off heroin.
- His father was operating on a cat in the room below when he saw his son hurtle to the ground.
- The man's whole life should have been considered when the decision was made to give the award out.
- Although they cannot see fully yet, they listen intently when we tell them of these things.
- The option is one of three for the three main party leaders to consider when they meet at City Hall.
- The first time I used a personal shopper was five years ago, when I lived in Toronto.
- That's what my Scottish grandmother told me I needed to do when I was five years old.
- I'll never forget idly thumbing through a bible in a hotel room when I was a child.
- In the early days after the birth, it can be useful to set aside some time to rest when the baby sleeps.
- It was years after these events that I found out my Aunt died in that room when she was only 14.
- Now he goes to bed late because he is frightened of nightmares when he sleeps.
1.2(if)sicuandothese results aren't bad when you compare them with … — estos resultados no son malos si / cuando se los compara con …
- It's hard not be cynical about the power of love when there is so much bile around.
- Seemingly not, although it does not help when they are not in a position to keep up with the play.
- Why sleep with that woman when you know it could bring you trouble somewhere down the line?
- I mean who else is there to take up the slack for them, when their fifteen minutes of fame is running out.
- She didn't think Jamie was the type to sit hiding in some motel room when someone was out to kill him.
- Can we define terrorism when one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist?
- So why did she look over the glasses to get a good view of me when previously the glasses had done the job?
- For what chance is there of love when everything you do is monitored as if on CCTV?
- I never try to convince my body that it should be sleeping when it knows better.
- Where was the body, I used to think, when there is no room between the headstone and the wall?
- How can there be love when you leave me, without warmth and without explanation?
- Why does Dolan persist in five at the back when it clearly doesn't suit York's style of play?
- To rely on a phone call from California when so many lives are at stake is not enough.
- You cannot claim to give the facts straight when there is no-one giving the other view.
- There is no room to manoeuvre when the character of a space determines the environment.
- I am in the fourth year of my own fight, which is considered a long time when you have the kind of cancer I have.
- It is fantastic to even consider him when he has not been a pupil for two years.
- Was it really worth those few minutes of peace when he knew he was slowly killing himself?
2.1(since, considering that)sicuandohow do you know you don't like it when you've never tried it? — ¿cómo sabes que no te gusta si / cuando nunca lo has probado?
- why go to a hotel when you can stay here? — ¿por qué ir a un hotel si / cuando te puedes quedar aquí?
2.2(although)cuandohe said he was 18 when in fact he's only 15 — dijo que tenía 18 años cuando en realidad solo tiene 15
- They behaved as if they were in their living room at home, when, clearly they weren't.
- I had this idea of him being loud and brash when in fact he's laidback and quiet with this fantastic wit.
- Somehow that statistic came to be portrayed as a bad thing, when in fact it is a heartening trend.
- It is easy to ask a very general question when in fact what is wanted is a response to a specific issue.
- The danger is trying to put your nose through when there is no room and it ends in an accident.
- They may it look as though it is a charitable collection when in fact they are going to sell the stuff off.
- People were led to believe they had won a top prize when in fact they were being induced to pay for a low value product.
- People could at times be standing at the back when there was room in the front of the train.
- My flushed cheeks illustrated my shyness, when in fact it was sheer frustration.
- I think we fall back too often on our power when in fact we probably could do more by persuasion.
- It looks as though it was made at a particular time when in fact it was made 24 hours later.
- I had thought that this wasn't working, when in fact it was only not working in Firefox.
1cuándowhen do you have to be in London by, by when do you have to be in London? — ¿para cuándo tienes que estar en Londres?
- since when have they had the farm? — ¿desde cuándo tienen la granja?
- since when have you been an expert? — ¿desde cuándo eres un experto?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.