In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(while, on the other hand)mientras queen tanto que formal
- Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.
- She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.
- At the beginning of this debate Stephen said that he thinks that he is a positivist, whereas I am a Platonist.
- The Arctic is an ocean basin with peripheral continents, whereas the Antarctic is continental.
- Someone in prison is still able to contribute something to society whereas someone executed cannot.
- This measure of right and left has not changed in hundreds of years, whereas specific policies have.
- A nonalignable difference is that a bus has a schedule whereas a bicycle does not.
- Cooking for me is like putting on a show - I like to improvise, whereas Nicky is much more precise.
- Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.
- Now that's brave, whereas sitting here with cancer, typing a magazine article, is not.
- The restoration procedure is discretionary, whereas the challenge to the forfeiture is not.
- Her car had been found on the Yorkshire moors, whereas she'd reappeared about fifty miles from there.
- To the north, the second lava unit is by far the thickest, whereas the older unit is only 2 m thick.
- A dark room will trigger less light, whereas a bright room will drive more light output.
- Berti wants as many of them as possible, whereas I deliberately minimised them.
- The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.
- The supernatant was kept in stock whereas the residue was sequentially extracted three times.
- He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.
- The port was well fortified and defended, whereas the Vendéans had no siege train.
- It was based on polar coordinates whereas earlier instruments were based on cartesian coordinates.
- We can make this in minutes; whereas previously it would take hours to make this part.
- It is possible for the non-bidding team to win the game if they reach the target whereas the bidders are still below it.
- We have natural light whereas working underground we had artificial light.
- Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.
2formal(since)considerando quepor cuanto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.