In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(while, on the other hand)mientras queen tanto que formal
- Her car had been found on the Yorkshire moors, whereas she'd reappeared about fifty miles from there.
- Thus Mr Smith is now the respondent to this appeal, whereas Mr Clark was the claimant below.
- We have natural light whereas working underground we had artificial light.
- At the beginning of this debate Stephen said that he thinks that he is a positivist, whereas I am a Platonist.
- It was based on polar coordinates whereas earlier instruments were based on cartesian coordinates.
- This measure of right and left has not changed in hundreds of years, whereas specific policies have.
- A nonalignable difference is that a bus has a schedule whereas a bicycle does not.
- She's the one who is moving on whereas her parents are stuck with the story, are stuck in the past.
- Berti wants as many of them as possible, whereas I deliberately minimised them.
- He lived through his era, whereas so many of his friends died in racing accidents.
- Cooking for me is like putting on a show - I like to improvise, whereas Nicky is much more precise.
- The restoration procedure is discretionary, whereas the challenge to the forfeiture is not.
- The desks have damaged the walls, whereas a more appropriate choice could have prevented such damage.
- To the north, the second lava unit is by far the thickest, whereas the older unit is only 2 m thick.
- Negligence depends on a breach of duty, whereas contributory negligence does not.
- It is possible for the non-bidding team to win the game if they reach the target whereas the bidders are still below it.
- The Arctic is an ocean basin with peripheral continents, whereas the Antarctic is continental.
- A dark room will trigger less light, whereas a bright room will drive more light output.
- We can make this in minutes; whereas previously it would take hours to make this part.
- Someone in prison is still able to contribute something to society whereas someone executed cannot.
- Nanjing has also in the past been the capital of China, whereas now Beijing has that role.
- The supernatant was kept in stock whereas the residue was sequentially extracted three times.
- Now that's brave, whereas sitting here with cancer, typing a magazine article, is not.
- The port was well fortified and defended, whereas the Vendéans had no siege train.
2formal(since)considerando quepor cuanto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.