In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1such was the plan whereby she hoped to achieve her goals — tal era el plan por medio del cual esperaba lograr sus objetivos
- there are other means whereby agreement may be reached — hay otros medios por los cuales se puede llegar a un acuerdo
- a system whereby payments are made automatically — un sistema por / según el cual los pagos se efectúan automáticamente
- The second means whereby the position of these children was to be enhanced lay in improving the position of the father.
- There probably hasn't been a time in history whereby there's so much uncertainty.
- It is the sort of service whereby it would not matter how much was spent, the demand would not be satisfied.
- It is a vision whereby every child leaves school able to read, write, and do basic arithmetic.
- We could have a scenario whereby a Minister was very keen to see certain applications proceed.
- Now I'm happy to see a development occur whereby it means something more spiritual.
- He had an arrangement whereby he could arrive at any time he needed help.
- Last week he ran a competition whereby you had to think of a way to blow a thousand quid so that you could win the same amount.
- Ruth created an Art Project for her pupils whereby they had to design and create a Tea Pot.
- Some countries have laws whereby to buy a new car you must scrap the old one.
- They also have plans to raise the income thresholds whereby parents can still qualify for the benefit.
- Haptic touch is a kind of sense whereby you can take a tool, and you can very quickly come to treat it as if it was part of your body.
- We need a process whereby that self determination can be reflected at a national level.
- Doing that, I am educated whereby I can write constructive letters and also sign my name.
- A plan was put in place whereby she was able to join a special account at her local Credit Union.
- We have a very silly situation whereby Queenstown and Taupo are able to open for business and we are not.
- This bill was the mechanism whereby that scheme could have been made possible.
- We have all been through the procedure whereby we have discussed our views, and at the end, failed to agree.
- This follows another story last week whereby prisoners were trying to get permission to vote in elections.
- The courts there approved a pooling agreement, whereby the assets would be distributed rateably.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.