In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in questions)dóndewherever can they be? — ¿dónde diablos pueden estar? informal
2informal(no matter where)en cualquier parteen cualquier ladowhere does the group meet? — in bars, private houses, wherever — ¿dónde se reúne el grupo? — en bares, en casas particulares, en cualquier parte / lado
- Enjoy your festive season wherever you and whatever you do - Peace on Earth and goodwill to all!
- Which gives you a pretty broad spectrum of A-list clothing whatever your age, wherever you shop.
- None of the people in this film would be spending time together in the real world, wherever and whatever that is.
- I refuse to feel afraid to walk wherever I like at whatever time of night wearing whatever I like.
- Have you ever felt the desire to contemplate your very own Zen garden wherever you are, whatever the time?
- Since Evil is only a lack of Good, wherever there is Evil there must be Good.
- And now, wherever you go, whatever you do, you find yourself dominated by his evil presence.
- In the end, students will study whatever suits them, wherever it suits them.
- These can take place wherever I am, whatever I'm doing - and don't need a quiet room or for me to be on my knees.
- I'll try and use influences wherever I can, whatever the style.
- However, whatever, wherever they play, blues guitarists all have a common aim.
- You're free to buy whatever you want from wherever you want, it all goes back to the same place eventually.
- American arms have triumphed over those of their enemies wherever the two have met.
- I'm not down on people finding love online, in their local supermarket or at the dogs, wherever, whatever, it's all good.
- Independence Day should be the rallying point of all our people, whatever and wherever their origins.
- Will and his team sit and chat, or just listen, meeting needs and helping wherever they can.
- Whatever you are, wherever you come from, you are the same in the one world.
- Whatever and wherever you choose to eat, I hope you enjoy your Branson vacation.
- For the sake of the future, the truth must be pursued relentlessly wherever and whatever it leads to.
- Whatever your age, wherever you live and whoever you are, rhythm and movement are common to everyone.
1you can use your card wherever you see this sign — puede usar su tarjeta (en cualquier establecimiento) donde vea este símbolo
- where shall we go? — wherever you like — ¿(a)dónde vamos? — (a)donde tú quieras
- they follow her wherever she goes — la siguen a todas partes
- wherever he goes, I'll go too — vaya donde vaya / dondequiera que vaya, yo iré también
- she said it was in Pando, wherever that is — dijo que quedaba en Pando, que no tengo ni idea de dónde está
- you can sit wherever you like — puedes sentarte donde quieras(, en cualquier lado)
- wherever he is, he's always complaining — esté donde esté, siempre se está quejando
- He brought him to the school playground, to the school bus, wherever Stephen was, there was Thomas.
- I mean, wherever things were to be photographed he went, and away he went and things happened in front of his camera.
- Although the internet resists regulation, wherever regulation is technically possible, it tends to be pursued.
- Apply the wax in the direction of the wood grain wherever possible and rub it in gently until the color blends with the floor.
- I have made a point of buying organic, wherever possible and making sure that there is always raw fruit and veg on hand.
- It is virtually a global issue and more prevalent in the South East Asian nations and wherever Indians live.
- This last discovery on Europa is especially exciting because there may be life wherever water is discovered.
- When you fight terror in Afghanistan, wherever terror is being felt, we have to be patient.
- Some say that wherever Selfridges is based it will attract shoppers and that it will act as a magnet to other top stores wanting to be in the vicinity.
- Mr Wood said aid had to be sent wherever people needed water, food and shelter but he warned there was no overall single answer to the problem of poverty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.